Development Events Manager (HIRED)
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Up to 25%
The Manager, Development Events is an integral part of the Advancement team whose primary function is to advance and secure support for the philanthropic mission of Discovery Place. From conception to completion, this position will lead and coordinate the administrative, creative, and logistical aspects of all Development and Member events at our 4 Museum locations. Working closely with fundraiser colleagues, the Manager, Development Events will develop and execute events that increase contributed revenue, cultivate and steward donors and members, and advance our institutional strategic priorities.
Examples of events includes: One Night Wonder (annual fundraising gala), Donor and Member exhibition openings, Prism Society (leadership donor society) stewardship events, Helix Society family field trips, annual Science + Society lecture, corporate family days, Wildacres Family Weekend in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and private cultivation dinners.
• Executes all development and membership events that creatively exemplify our mission at a high-level that achieve revenue and qualitative goals within budget.
• Develops, implements and monitors detailed event plans that include timelines, logistics, marketing, sponsorship, volunteer and staff management, and follow-up.
• Drafts copy for invitations, event web pages, programs, evites and supervises the production of event related materials. Manages inventory of event materials.
• Negotiates arrangements with vendors.
• Supervises volunteer and team staffing for each event.
• Manages detailed revenue/expense budgets.
• Prepares analysis and reports for each event including progress reports, actual expense details, attendance information, summary of feedback from guests and staff, etc.
• Tracks event activity in database, updates constituent records, and master database reporting as it pertains to events (invitation list pulls, etc).
• Anticipate project needs, discern work priorities and meet deadlines.
• Drafts event briefings for CEO, CAO and leadership volunteers.
• Attend all events.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred or 5+ years in events, fundraising, sales, marketing and/or related experience.
• A minimum of 3 years of related experience in event management work – not-for-profit preferred, but not required.
• Passion for Discovery Place’s mission.
• Strong writing and copy editing skills.
• Proven ability to meet deadlines.
• High attention to detail.
• Experience creatively working within budget to achieve goals.
• Experience utilizing volunteers.
• Must be self-motivated.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint) required.
• Experience utilizing database to track work.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule – early morning, nights, weekends – when events occur.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
• Ability to adapt, plan for and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced setting.
• Ability to navigate a large organization, follow protocol and communicate effectively with multiple departments.
• Appreciation of the role of philanthropy in building community.
• Sound decision-making skills in high-pressure situations.
• Demonstrated creativity in conveying messaging to achieve goals.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Demonstrated understanding of fundraising fundamentals.
• Ability to work with Board members, donors, and others with poise, to garner respect, to demonstrate confidence and communicate with candor.
• Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information.
• Experience with Altru or Blackbaud products desired.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills (both written and verbal); effectively communicate with staff, volunteers, current and prospective donors/sponsors, vendors and the public at large.
• Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills; flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and deadlines.
• Well organized, self-directed and able to manage time and multitask. Strong project management skills. Basic financial management skills, including ability to create and manage detailed budgets and meet financial targets. Demonstrated aptitude for attention to detail and accuracy.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We strive to provide exceptional service through four core values: uncommon courtesy, the pursuit of personal excellence, teamwork and inclusion. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.