Charlotte’s first West End brewery, Blue Blaze Brewery, will open in early 2016 in the old Savona Mill along the Stewart Creek Greenway.
- Founders: Craig Nunn and Sven Giersmann
- Head Brewer: Steve Turner (5-time Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup medal winner)
- Location: 528 S Turner Avenue, across the street from the entrance to the Stewart Creek Greenway (approximately a 15 minute walk from Uptown)
- The 8,000 square foot production facility will house the brewery, taproom, and an outdoor area.
- Their five flagship beers will be an altbier, amber, black IPA, dortmunder, and a milk stout.
- They will also brew additional beers, including pale ales, IPAs, dopplebocks, porters and hefeweizens.
- Beer will be available in half-barrel kegs, sixtels, growlers, and 4-pack pint cans.
“Blue Blaze epitomizes the character of the West End. They are forward-thinking, authentic and are focused on building community.” – Greg Pappanastos, President of the development company (Argos Real Estate Advisors)
“Because the craft beer community in Charlotte has been so supportive of our dream, and they produce such high quality products, we will offer other local brewery’s beers on tap in our taproom,” – Craig Nunn, Co-founder
- Craig Nunn told us that “the fact that [the location] was on the greenway was key.” He also stated that they “will be a destination, and even a stop, for outdoor recreationalist.”
- The hope is that the redevelopment of Savona Mill will transform this area in the same way that Atherton Mill transformed South End.
- Blue Blaze Brewing will be one of the first breweries in town to always feature other local beers alongside their own.
Follow Blue Blaze Brewery’s progress