Volunteer Operations Manager
Heart is a math intervention program used in high-poverty elementary schools with a mission of ensuring that all elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success, by helping schools use volunteers as tutors. Almost sixty percent of economically disadvantaged students in Charlotte are not performing on grade level in math. Volunteer tutors are a powerful resource for addressing this, if given the right tools and support.
The program became a 501c3 nonprofit in July 2014 and currently supports 750 volunteer tutors across 12 school sites in Charlotte, NC. To date, 98% of Heart students have met program growth goals in math, and more than 90% of teachers report that students show an increase in enthusiasm and/or confidence towards academics as a result of the program. Visit www.hearttutoring.org for more information.
Volunteer Operations Manager:
• 12 months, full time.
• Start date: May 2017.
About the role:
This person will be quarterback on all things volunteer-related. Volunteer tutors are the hands and heart of Heart – serving on the front lines for students who need help. Heart has developed a formula for recruiting, managing, supporting and retaining tutors while delivering an effective, positive experience. The organization’s size now requires full time staff dedicated to these efforts: Heart plans to grow the number of tutors by 150% over the next three years to provide tutors for over 1,500 elementary students. This person will work laterally across the organization, leading Heart staff and advocates to achieve the organization’s goals.
This person’s primary role and responsibility is measured by volunteer satisfaction metrics, volunteer retention, volunteer recruitment and volunteer giving. These metrics are all critical to student outcomes and Heart’s overall mission.
• Manage data and analytics of Heart’s volunteer base and volunteer-related processes.
• Oversee screening, onboarding and placement of volunteers, maintaining impeccable quality control.
• Project manage volunteer recruitment.
• Cultivate long-term leads for volunteers and partnerships.
• Oversee and execute volunteer communications, social media, volunteer appreciation/recognition plans and volunteer events.
• Identify and meet needs of Heart’s volunteer base which could include training, community building and leadership opportunities.
Support any other Heart projects and needs, as needed:
• Fund Development – partner with development team in cultivating volunteer base and volunteer partner organizations as donors.
• Program – partner with program team to ensure tutors are effective and satisfied.
• Support other initiatives as needed (HeartThrob, Community Relations Committee, Development support, Program support, Administrative ).
• Any other duties as assigned, based on your skills and capacity and Heart’s needs.
Qualifications / skills:
• Demonstrated passion for Heart’s mission.
• Exceptional Organization Skills and Attention to Detail.
• Analytical skills.
• Strong writer.
• Enjoys and is good at relationship-building.
• Fast learner.
• Demonstrated leadership and ability to influence others.
• Exude Heart’s core values: student-centered, gratitude, growth-mindset, precision and professionalism, civic engagement.
• Project management.
• Strategic communication.
• Data and analytics.
• Use of technology.
• Volunteer experience.
• Leadership experience / influencing others / sales.
• Commensurate with experience.
• Limited benefits available, covering health insurance.