Architect – Data (HIRED)
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE ® 50 home improvement company serving more than 16 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico through its stores and online at Lowes.com, Lowes.ca and Lowes.com.mx. With fiscal year 2015 sales of $59.1 billion, Lowe’s has more than 1,855 home improvement and hardware stores and 270,000 employees. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Are you a Pioneering Spirit? Lowe’s is looking for Visionaries, Risk-takers, and Adventurers.
Lowe’s is looking for someone that is driven by potential—A trailblazer of innovation. We are a multibillion dollar company with 5 million MyLowes users and millions of daily site visits. We’re looking for someone that dares to take risks and is excited about the opportunity to work on problems that have never been attempted. So if you’re an innovator, the kind of person who thinks outside the box and is always excited about their next challenge, you might just be the Pioneering Spirit we’re looking for.
The Data Architect is primarily responsible for providing input into the development of the IT strategic technology direction and defining and communicating the architecture standards, guidelines, and statements of direction with guidance from senior architects as appropriate by facilitating the design and establishment of architecture standards.
The Data Architect is also responsible for executing the architecture process for technology solutions with guidance from senior architects as appropriate and driving the adoption of new technologies by researching technical trends and developments.
The Data Architect is responsible for fully understanding the EA mission and educating others throughout the organization on the function of the governance, architecture, and standards.
Provides input into the development of the IT strategic technology direction by providing domain knowledge on solutions and technology; providing expertise by sharing understanding of current capability gaps, architectural gaps, market and industry trends that can be used to set future direction.
Defines and communicates the architecture standards, guidelines, and statements of direction with guidance from senior architects as appropriate by facilitating the design and establishment of architecture standards; ensuring architecture standards will allow business needs to be met; establishing best practices that guide the design of technology solutions; researching industry standards and technologies to ensure proper questions are raised and answered by stakeholders.
Executes the architecture process for technology solutions with guidance from senior architects as appropriate by collaborating with other architects to develop the target state; producing current and/or target state architecture deliverables (e.g., reference architectures); providing input to enterprise architecture by creating solution roadmaps and system retirement plans to align business, applications, data, integration, and/or infrastructure architecture; guiding application development teams in the design and build of complex solutions; advising active projects to ensure alignment with defined target architectures and strategies; collaborating with project teams and business users to create architecture artifacts (e.g., logical, conceptual, physical) to guide detailed design; driving solutions to develop reusable assets across the enterprise; performing architecture design reviews.
Drives the adoption of new technologies by researching technical trends and developments; helping determine the selection of technologies; collaborating with IT and business leadership to influence decisions regarding technology investment; executing proof of concept for new technologies.
Fully understands the EA mission and educates others throughout the organization on the function of the governance, architecture, and standards; serving as a subject matter expert across business and/or IT teams; working closely with architects and other stakeholders to facilitate consensus on the architecture model and direction; presenting EA content to internal and external audiences.
In addition to the responsibilities listed, this position is responsible for developing and maintaining Lowe’s Enterprise Data Model. This includes working collaboratively as a thought leader with other architects and solution and business teams on data architecture best practices.
Some of the unique challenges this position will face include working with emerging architectures such as big data, and non-relational data solutions. Other opportunities include working with data governance and addressing data quality.
The unique skills required for effective performance in this job include having a passion for data and being a self-starter. Possessing the ability to determine the data architecture approach and deliverables and for each solution.
Required minimum qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, CIS, Engineering, or related field and 10+ years IT experience, including 4+ years of experience in IT architecture. Additional equivalent work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
• 2+ years of experience leading technical teams with or without direct reports.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, CIS, Engineering, or related field.
• Six Sigma certification.
• 1+ years of work experience in an IT role requiring interaction with senior leadership.
• 3+ years of experience with commercial off-the-shelf package integration.
• 3+ years of experience architecting, designing, and implementing enterprise-scale, high volume, high availability systems.
• 1+ years of cross-domain IT architecture experience.
• 3+ years of experience establishing and documenting standards, guidelines, and best practices.
• 1+ years of experience with modeling techniques (e.g., BPM, UML, ER).
• 1+ years of experience working with Enterprise Architecture frameworks, such as TOGAF or Zachman.
• 1+ years of experience working with third party IT vendors and/or IT system solution providers.
• 2+ years IT experience in the retail industry.
• 1+ years of experience working in a large matrixed organization.
• 2+ years working with information management repositories.
• 1+ years working with canonicals within integration architecture.
• 2+ years working with data analysis tools and/or techniques.
• 2+ years defining data architecture in a corporate or enterprise environment.
• 1+ years in the design of target state architecture in a corporate or enterprise environment.
• 2+ years in the design and integration of relational databases.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.