Fitness Director (HIRED)
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Under the direction of the Y Community Director of Health and Wellness, and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Fitness Director is responsible for general operation of the fitness floor department and supervising the Fitness Staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited supervising full and part-time fitness staff, preventive maintenance of strength and cardiovascular area, training, supervising and evaluating member workouts.
• Assist in the development, management, and achievement of the Fitness budgets.
• Recruit, Orient, Supervise, Train, Evaluate, and Retain fitness floor staff.
• Develop part-time staff schedule and conduct monthly Fitness staff meetings.
• Complete bi-weekly payroll for Fitness staff.
• Work directly with Membership/Marketing to promote Corporate Team Building programs.
• Prescribe safe and effective exercise programs and fitness testing for members using YMCA protocols.
• Develop and maintain member relations through new programs and staff.
• Develop and implement new programs in the Fitness and Personal Training departments.
• Be an active member and attend all meetings of the Membership Retention Team, providing leadership to the Fitness Experience aspect of the Membership Retention Plan.
• Ensure that members are connected to a fitness program that meets their needs, and provide follow-up. Examples of fitness programs include group exercise, personal training, 30-minute workout and wellness programs.
• Provide on-going training and supervision of fitness staff connectors to ensure that connections are made and maintained.
• Ensure program growth and member relations through implementation of effective programs and activities in compliance with YMCA operating procedures and policies and in collaboration with the Membership Sales/Service Department.
• Work with the Membership Sales/Service and Fitness staff to ensure intentional opportunities for members to engage with staff and other members through social, emotional, family, and spiritual connections.
• Perform daily checks on assigned areas to ensure that standards are met.
• Maintain cleanliness and upkeep of all exercise equipment and departments.
• Develop and maintain a preventive maintenance program on all Fitness equipment.
• Update the Age out report for Fitness equipment.
• Assist in recruitment and development of committee volunteers.
• Work on the fitness floor and cover shifts as needed.
• Assist with the Corporate Cup Race.
• Personal Train clients as directed by Supervisor.
• Maintain adequate records to evaluate control and measure the effectiveness of assigned responsibilities.
• Create, participate and implement Quality and Member Involvement Initiatives.
• As applicable, assist with health education programs and special events with the Health Center.
• As applicable, assist the Health center in presenting seminars and health education lectures as they relate to hospital/YMCA monthly themes.
• Develop resources to ensure that risk management standards are adhered to within areas of responsibility.
• Participate in branch full time staff meetings, MOD schedule and other branch retreats, socials, and trainings.
• Carryout special projects as assigned.
• Understand and consistently administer the branch and association policies and procedures.
• BS Degree in Physical Education, Recreation or related field or 4 years relevant work experience.
• 1-3 years Supervisory Experience of Adult Fitness, Personal Training, or Strength Training Department.
• Current National Personal Training Certification.
• Ability to successfully train, communicate with and evaluate staff.
• Experience working with free weights and a variety of selectorized exercise equipment, as well as cardiovascular equipment.
• Ability to successfully pass Certification in CPR/AED and First Aid.
• Possess good human relations skills to facilitate positive relationships with members, program participants, staff and volunteers.
• Pushing (50 lbs.).
• Lifting (50 lbs.).
• Carrying (50 lbs.).
• Pulling (50 lbs.).
• Other: Effectively “spot” members – weight will vary.