I went to a local media day at Wells Fargo Championship. Instead of getting a 30-second video clip like local TV, I decided to wander the course and chit chat with smart golf people. Here’s what you need to know.
(1) Here’s a map of the concessions.
There’s something magical about eating Bojangles’ Chicken Supremes at a PGA Tour Event.
(2) New: Hot Taco and JJ’s Red Hots will be on the course this year.
(3) New: Digital Pairings Guide.
Instead of carrying around the piece of paper, you can be cool and keep up at wfcpairings.com.
(4) New: Place to go if your baby poops her pants aka Levine Children’s Hospital Family Center.
Comfortable place for parents to feed, change diapers, etc. Located in the Green Mile Village on the 16th fairway at the First Aid tent.
(5) New: If you’re looking to get all hopped up on soda, say hello to the new “Coca-Cola Beverage Oasis”
New stand at the 4th tee to get a bottomless cup which could be a souvenir if you’re a cup person.
(6) Golf big dawgs playing in the tournament include: #3 Rory McIlroy, #5 Rickie Fowler, #6 Henrik Stenson, #7 Adam Scott, and #8 Dustin Johnson.
Other big names outside of the top 10 in the world rankings include Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson and Davis Love III. #NoTiger
But, you have to cheer for our hometown boy Webb Simpson (Quail Hollow is his primary club). I want Webb to be my buddy, so maybe I’ll creepily follow him at the tournament so that we become friends. I saw him and his wife Dowd in the airport one time, but I was too nervous to approach them. Maybe Webb and Dowd (recently named one of the Most Beautiful Women in Golf by Golf.com) will go to Red Lobster with me after the round.
Actually, it looks like Webb loves Cowfish. Maybe we’ll go there after the round instead of Red Lobster.
(7) Transportation really isn’t a pain in the butt and there’s a custom Uber setup.
(8) Cocktail prices.
(9) Beer prices.
(10) Don’t walk in, get overwhelmed and just stick to the Event Hill or the Green Mile Village. Cool kids hang out at the All American Pub area on the other side of the course near the 10th green and 13th fairway.
(11) New: Mother’s Day – “PINK OUT” & Sunday Service.
If you don’t drink too many cocktails or just need to get your life back together after drinking too many cocktails, you can start Mother’s Day off by joining in for a special sunrise service at 7 a.m. on the 18th Green. What to expect: Dave McKenzie on the bagpipes, message by Forest Hill Church’s David Chadwick and music by The Voices of Praise choir.
(12) Bank nerds and social media freaks will be at the Wells Fargo Social Media Hub relocated to the area by the 9th green.
Use the hashtag #WellsFargoChamp to show up on their social media board.
(13) Updated cell phone policy.
Exact tournament words so that they don’t yell at us: “Now, Thursday-Sunday photos are permitted with the exception: NO Photos of players as they execute a shot within any competition area.”
(14) Parents: You can tag your child in case they run off.
Love it. Unclear if you can tag your boyfriend/girlfriend. On the program: “All patrons wishing to tag their child with a friendly reminder in case they get separated or lost can do so at the Guest Services Tent, located at the main entrance near the bus shuttle. To easily identify the child as a ‘Safe-Tee Kid,’ he/she will receive a brightly colored wristband labeled “Wells Fargo Championship Safe-Tee Kid.”
Nobody wants to find out that their kid jumped the fence and is now doing canon balls in the Quail Hollow pool…
(15) Restroom situation.
Fancy places have those super fancy portable restrooms, but non-fancy people use restrooms like the ones below. They’re excellent. I love a solid restroom setup. #toiletsmatter
(16) Tickets are still on sale (go here).
But you should first try to hit up your fancy banking friend that works at Wells Fargo so that you can hit up the Executive Club…
… Or the Trophy Room…
… Or the Green Mile Club…
… Or the Clubhouse.