Reporter & Digital Producer (Expired)
THIS JOB IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Axios Charlotte is a user’s guide to life in Charlotte. Every month, we reach about 250,000 different people. We’re profitable. We’re growing. National media like Harvard’s NiemanLab have reported on us being the leader in tomorrow’s local media space in the United States. As traditional local media winds down over the next five years, we have the opportunity to create the future.
Our mission is to make Charlotte the smartest, most human city in the world. Read our core values here. This stuff matters to us.
Reporter & Digital Producer core responsibilities:
- Write 1-3 short form, original stories a day. If you’re not used to a fast paced environment, do not apply. If you’re scared to produce, do not apply.
- Shoot, edit and resize photos.
- Find interesting, important stories before they hit the mainstream. If you need somebody to spoon-feed you ideas, do not apply.
- Send our newsletter two times a week. Every day, over 12,000 people wake up to our Axios Charlotte newsletter. We take this responsibility very seriously.
Traits we’re looking for:
- Interest in new story formats. You don’t just want to write 500-word, boring stories. You have a ton of interest in writing short form, original content that’s useful.
- Hunger. You’re confident, passionate and driven.
- Humility. You have the ability to learn fast, change your mind and adapt.
- News judgment. You know what people will find useful. We focus on utility, not entertainment.
- Speed, accuracy and curiosity. You can produce clean copy, fast.
- Not afraid of the internet. You have opinions and you’re not scared of people sending mean tweets to you. Your voice matters.
- Video, Google Analytics and graphic design skills are a plus.
- Sense of humor.
What Axios Charlotte offers:
- Competitive salary. This is a full time, salaried position.
- No mediocre coworkers. Our team is small and smart — you don’t have to be saddled with marginal people.
- Free coffee, fresh brewed each day. It’s delicious.
- Flexible work hours. The idea that you have to be somewhere from 9-5 is dumb.
- Outstanding technology. Unlike other local media, we appreciate design/UX.
- Long-term, strategic company vision. We have no corporate mothership and we’re fiercely independent.
- Budget for personal growth. Want to take classes, buy books or go to a conference? We pick up the tab so that you grow.
How to apply
Send cover letter (doesn’t have to be a fancy format), resume and work samples to ted(at)charlotteagenda.com.
Also, please include in your cover letter a brief description of a recent story Axios Charlotte didn’t cover and how you would have covered it.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond individually to all candidates.