Charlotte’s Nails is more than a nail salon for LaToya Evans. It’s a way to honor her baby, Charlotte, who died last October.
Driving the news: The salon’s soft opening is today, Nov. 18, from 11am-6pm at Northlake Mall.
Context: The local entrepreneur is a public relations pro whose client list ranges from Mayor Vi Lyles to the popular crab joint LuLu’s. But she always knew she wanted to open a nail salon, she tells Axios.
Flashback: Evans grew up going to Sallie’s, a Black-owned salon in Fayetteville, with her mom, Dianne Evans. She always wanted red nail polish to match her mom’s.
- “I can see the whole salon so clearly, it’s imprinted on my memory,” Evans says.
- Sallie’s is no longer a community gathering spot where neighbors come in to get their nails done. Today, it’s a Walgreens.
- The goal is to make Charlotte’s Nails accessible to the Black community, Evans says, adding she also considered Beatties Ford Road.
Zoom out: Northlake Mall has not had a nail salon since before the pandemic. Charlotte city council member James “Smuggie” Mitchell recommended the mall as a potential location, Evans says.
By the numbers: The mall’s occupancy has increased by 20% since the end of March, as the Observer reported.
Details: The 1,332-square-foot space was previously home to a nail salon, which helped Evans save time and money uplifting the space. Renovations include new floors, redoing the walls and making the space feel airy and light. Delgar Interior Design designed the space.
- Salon services are available for women, men and children age 10 and under. Little Diva services for kids start at $15, services for women start at $35 and manicures for men are $30. Regular and gel polish will be available.
- The salon is open 12-6pm on Sunday and 11am-7pm Monday-Saturday, with holiday hours to be announced.
- The address is 6801 Northlake Mall Dr. near No Grease and Dillard’s.
What’s next: A grand opening will be announced soon.
Take a look around the salon.