Director of Bands
Charlotte Latin School seeks a Director of Bands for a full-time, 10-month position that will begin August, 2024. The Band Program faculty includes a Director of Bands, Assistant Director of Bands, and adjunct clinicians who assist in courses. The Band Faculty are members of the K-12 Performing Arts Department.
• Oversee and mentor the total band program, serving Grades 5-12
• Serve as the primary conductor of and be responsible for the Upper School Band and Grade 7-8 Band and all the various aspects of those ensembles
• Assist with the US Pep Band and Drumline
• Co-teach Grade 5-6 Band courses with Assistant Director of Bands
• Maintain an accurate inventory of all equipment and instruments in the band program and ensure standard maintenance of all equipment
• Afford appropriate students the opportunity to participate in district, regional, state and/or national music events, aid them in their preparation, and travel with them as needed or required by the sponsoring organizations
• Serve as an US advisor, mentoring a small group of students and engaging with parents.
• A Bachelor’s degree in music with a concentration in instrumental music is required, with strong preference for a Master’s degree
• Experience teaching in an independent K-12 school preferred, preferably at the upper grades level
• Minimum of three years teaching Band in a school setting is required
• Exhibit a love of working with children in this age group
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Strong desire to participate in the whole life of the school
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• The ability to build a strong rapport with colleagues and serve as a collaborative team player
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Adherence to the highest level of professionalism
• A philosophical alignment with the school’s core values and curriculum and instruction, which can be found on our website: www.charlottelatin.org, including a commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.