SOX Senior Auditor
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 17 million customer transactions a week in the U.S. With total fiscal year 2022 sales of over $97 billion, approximately $92 billion of sales were generated in the U.S., where Lowe’s operates over 1,700 home improvement stores and employs approximately 300,000 associates. Based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Does the concept of Agile Internal Audit interest you? Within Lowe’s Internal Audit function, the agile auditing methodology and mindset is leveraged to focus on the most urgent needs of our business stakeholders. Our team provides timely insights for decision-making, focuses on what matters for the company and reduces time wasted in audit cycles and documentation. Sure, evaluating financial controls are table stakes, but at Lowe’s you will be a value-added advisor to the business. Move from the backroom to the front seat with our audit team!
The SOX Senior Auditor will work closely with the SOX Lead Auditor and the Audit Manager to assist in overseeing Internal Audit’s SOX Oversight Program and assist with operational audits that evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls established to manage the Company’s most significant risks. The SOX Oversight responsibilities include a combination of SOX planning activities, performing independent SOX testing, reviewing management’s testing, and driving SOX-related administrative activities such as reporting of internal controls over financial reporting and innovative, continuous improvement of the program. The role will also be a liaison for SOX related activities with Management.
Engagement with Management includes consulting on controls/narratives, training on best practices, and oversight of Management testing, as well as routine quarterly SOX procedures. For Operational Audits, Internal Audit at Lowe’s focuses primarily on value-add, operational audits with high visibility to Lowe’s Leadership.
The Senior Auditor will assist in the planning and execution of audit engagements by conducting interviews and walkthroughs with process owners; assisting in the development and execution of audit test steps associated with related controls; and preparing and reviewing workpapers to document the audit work performed to support conclusions reached. The Senior Auditor will interpret test results by using data analysis skills, process analysis, and critical thinking to support oral/written communication of audit results to the client. This role may have the opportunity to lead and assist in training less experienced auditors. Additionally, the Senior Auditor will actively participate in departmental non-project activities, such as internal quality reviews, training coordination, and other rotational committee work.
Project evaluation and data integrity
• Assists in the development of work programs to document and test internal controls
• Performs preliminary survey work and documents processes using technical skills to identify significant risks and their related controls within a specific process, application, etc.
• Executes test steps designed to evaluate the effectiveness of relevant internal cross-functional internal controls (i.e., store operations, financial, IT, compliance, etc.)
• Identifies and documents control design and effectiveness weaknesses based on analysis performed
• Summarizes and clearly documents audit findings with the level of quality necessary for an executive audience
• Project Management
• Coordinates with the internal teams and management to ensure project milestone timelines are met
• Applies technical knowledge of auditing concepts (in conjunction with Operations, Finance, IT, etc.) to ensure efficiency throughout the audit engagement.
• Utilizes internal resources to assist when audit topics require intermediate to advanced knowledge
• Continuously develops knowledge of audit tools and techniques to ensure quality audit work
• Efficiently manages time to complete assigned audit plans within the established deadlines following Lowe’s Audit Methodology
• Ensures significant findings, root causes, and risk exposures are concise and documented in a timely manner
• Clearly communicates technical audit exceptions and other items of concern in a timely manner to audit team and clients
• Develops client relationships professionally through consistent dialogue and open communications throughout the audit process
• Meets or exceeds customers’ expectations while creating a seamless experience for the client by understanding how the Senior Auditor role, team goals, and daily activities fit into the company vision
• Drives for results by consistently meeting or exceeding deadlines for defined Audit Team or Departmental goals
Collaboration with others
• Efficiently organizes work processes to ensure the most effective workflow
• Supports a collaborative environment by working in a team of peers to solve problems and share information with peers, manager, and customers as appropriate
• Organizes resources and information in an efficient manner to handle competing demands and accomplish what needs to be done
Required minimum qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 2-3 years of audit (internal/external) experience or relevant business experience
• Familiarity with auditing standards and frameworks
• Master’s Degree in Business, Accounting, IT or related field
• Retail business experience
• CPA, CIA, or CISA (or willingness to obtain certification)
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, age, ancestry, national origin, mental or physical disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other category protected under federal, state, or local law.