Project Manager (Engineering)
Be the first…are you looking for an opportunity to make a substantial impact in a new position? The Town of Matthews is in the process of strategic growth, having recently passed a bond election, which included $21M in transportation bonds and $14M in parks bonds. This position is assigned to the Engineering division; however, it will oversee all project management activities for engineering, transportation, and park projects and the pavement management program within the Town of Matthews, including improving and standardizing related internal processes and reporting project status. The Town of Matthews is seeking an individual with strong experience in managing construction projects from concept through closeout, ensuring effective delivery and completion of these projects.
Position Salary Range:
$73,569 – $114,032
Hiring Salary Range:
$73,569 – $93,801
**(Salary is commensurate with experience and will be offered to the selected candidate within the “Hiring Salary Range” listed above.)**
Performs difficult specialized work involved with project management, including the budgeting, design, bidding, construction, and inspection of a variety of stormwater, transportation, and public works infrastructure, and parks projects, along with oversight of the Town’s pavement management plan. Work includes project planning and design, public engagement, monitoring project schedules and budgets, technical reviews for project design and analysis, construction bidding and administration, and reporting on project status. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Town Engineer.
(The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the class.)
• Responsible for managing the planning, design, budget, schedule, construction, and implementation of stormwater, transportation, parks, and other infrastructure projects for the Town of Matthews
• Manages multiple projects, consultants, and contractors in various stages of planning, design, and construction
• Administers qualifications-based selection (QBS) process for design services; facilitates the selection process, participates in scope and fee negotiations, and defines the terms of the contract agreements
• Coordinates all parties requiring input on projects, including but not limited to Engineering team members, other Town departments, CRTPO, NCDOT, and NCDEQ
• Researches and applies for grants to find additional funding sources for Town projects
• Coordinates, reviews, and approves permit applications prepared by outside consultants; works with permitting agencies to obtain approvals as needed
• Works to implement new or innovative infrastructure design concepts and standards that better address the needs of the Town
• Collects data and maintains an ongoing database for project cost estimating; reviews cost estimates for infrastructure projects
• Provides regular reporting of project status to the Town Engineer, Public Works Director, Town officials, grantors, and the public
• Manages the Town’s Pavement Management System and develops recommendations and budgets for the street resurfacing and pavement preservation program.
• Conducts site plan reviews of private development projects in the Town for compliance with Town standards and with knowledge of Mecklenburg County and NCDOT standards
• Collaborates with other public agencies on projects involving the Town of Matthews
• Attends public meetings and Town Board of Commissioners meetings, as needed
• Performs related duties as required
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
(The knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
• Thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of civil engineering
• Thorough knowledge of modern methods and techniques as applied to the construction and maintenance of public works infrastructure
• Thorough knowledge of land and engineering survey systems, methods, and techniques
• Thorough knowledge and application of the principles, practices, and techniques of engineering project management
• Thorough knowledge of intergovernmental laws and procedures relating to the delivery of public works infrastructure projects
• Ability to apply the Town’s engineering requirements, practices, and codes
• Ability to identify tasks within the work assigned, to set internal goals and deadlines pertaining to the work, and to work autonomously within the project to accomplish desired outcomes
• Ability to anticipate, identify, and provide resolution to issues and conflicts pertaining to the work assigned
• Ability to use engineering, project management, and office software packages
• Ability to prepare technical reports in connection with engineering projects
• Ability to show considerable tact and firmness in a variety of public contacts including the enforcement of specifications, site plans, and construction drawings
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse set of coworkers, Town officials, and the general public
• Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and customer service skills
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life functions of stooping, kneeling, standing, walking, fingering, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds frequently to lift objects
• Must possess the visual acuity to prepare data and statistics, operate a computer terminal, do extensive reading, use measurement devices, operate a motor vehicle, and inspect projects and technical requirements of projects in the field
Must be conscious of safety methods to avoid injury to others and themselves; May be subject to hazards including working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as noise, proximity to moving mechanical parts, vibrations, dust, mists, fumes, oils, tight quarters, and narrow passageways. This position is subject to all State and Federal OSHA regulations, including, but not limited to the following: bloodborne pathogens, hazard communication/GHS, personal protective equipment, slips, trips, and falls, etc.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university/college in Construction Management, Engineering, Engineering Technology, Project Management, or closely related field
• At least three years of related experience; experience with project planning and management, design, construction, cost estimating, project delivery methods, and traffic analyses is required
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and ability to successfully perform the essential duties of this position will be considered
Certificate and license requirements:
Possession of a valid Driver’s License is required. Engineer in Training (EIT) or Engineer Intern (EI) Certification, Project Management (PMP) Certification, or Professional Engineer (P.E.) License preferred but not required.
Conditions of employment:
The Town of Matthews requires background checks to be conducted on the final candidate(s) applying for any position with the Town of Matthews. For this position, final candidates must pass a background process to include but are not limited to work history verification, professional/personal reference checks, pre-employment drug screening and physical, criminal background, and driving record checks. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test and/or participate in other assessments.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Matthews provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in all terms and conditions of employment.
The Town of Matthews is an at-will employer.