Founded in 1903, Mecklenburg County Medical Society is a nonprofit professional organization for physicians and PAs in Mecklenburg County with a mission to unite, serve and represent our members as advocates for our patients, for the health of the community and for the profession of medicine.
The Board of Directors for Mecklenburg County Medical Society seeks a full-time Executive Director to lead this stable organization with deep roots in the community, poised to successfully engage the next generation of leaders in medicine in our community.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree
• Management experience, preferably in healthcare, in senior-level management of nonprofit professional associations
• Certified Association Executive designation preferred awarded by the American Society of
• Association Executives (or equivalent designation)
Desired soft skills:
Proactive, dependable. Effective communicator, able to synthesize complex scenarios and context into a concise and coherent email. Polished professional, highly detail- and deadline-oriented, technologically savvy, self-starter, entrepreneurial, respectfully drives issue/project to solution.
Serve as official spokesperson for the MCMS in the community. Maintain productive relationships with other organizations. Build external relationships and partnerships with the medical and broader community. Specifically, serve as the MCMS staff representative to the North Carolina Medical Society, MedLink, Child Health Committee, and build enhanced external community partnerships.
Board of Directors and Committee Lisason:
• In coordination with the Board President, plan agenda for Board and Executive Committee meetings
• Attend all Board meetings, maintain accurate Board minutes, attendance, and Director term records
• Support annual Board elections process and committee
• Follow-up on Board initiatives and report back on progress
• Support Board engagement, by synthesizing data and personally completing the necessary legwork to maintain projects moving forward and Board focus on MCMS mission, strategy and membership recruitment
MCMS Membership and fundraising:
– Plan, oversee and execute annual and overall membership campaign, including strategy for prospects, renewals, and retention
– Build comprehensive membership program, to include socials, programs, events, affinity groups, mentoring, member benefits, and other engagement
– Manage member communication through e-newsletter, receipts and stewardship
– Lead annual dinner fundraiser. Secure speaker and sponsorships
– Develop and initiate other opportunities for sponsorships including programs, socials, e-newsletter
Mecklenburg Medicine Marketing and E-newsletter:
• Lead transition from Mecklenburg Medicine print magazine to electronic newsletter
• Determine optimal format, advertiser/sponsor model and communicate with advertisers/sponsors and readers
• Manage and serve as main point of contact for e-newsletter, working with contractors as necessary on content, editing, and format
• Coordinate with web host to provide updates to maintain a fresh, updated, relevant website; as well as functional online program registration and membership renewal
• Support social media content and oversee development of member discussion platform through an annual member Facebook group
Administrative and personnel
• Direct and coordinate all programs, projects, and major activities for MCMS staff
• Manage Meetings & Special Events Coordinator
• Effectively and cohesively coordinate part-time contractors supporting diverse needs of the Medical Society
• Develop efficient, streamlined policies, procedures on a staff level as implementation of general high-level policies established by the Board. Maintain policy manual
• Provide training, set performance standards and conduct performance evaluations
• Maintain shared office contact list and ensure all data and information is stored appropriately on the shared group drive
• Coordinate with Finance Manager on Bi-Monthly payroll processing and benefit administration
Financial and legal:
• Coordinate with Finance Manager to prepare an annual budget for Board review and approval. Once approved, operate the Society within approved budget
• Coordinate with Finance Manager to ensure transparent, accurate reporting, and timely distribution of monthly financials
• Review and monitor income and expenses and report on variances to budget
• Develop and present recommendations to increase revenue and/or reduce expenses while optimizing the goals of the organization
• Ensure that all funds, physical assets, and other property of the Society are appropriately safeguarded and administered
• Arrange for an annual financial review as requested by the Board
• Maintain corporate documents and ensure the association complies with all reporting requirements of local, state, and federal agencies
• Oversee services of financial (banking and investments), insurance, accounting and legal
• Ensure security for all files, legal and historic documents, membership and mailing lists, and all confidential information
The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, and skills. Employment at MCMS is “at will,” and either party can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without just cause.
Salary is in the range of $75,000 annually and is commensurate with experience, with an opportunity for a 20% performance-based bonus aligned with various performance metrics, including increased membership.
Benefits include 100% Health and Dental Insurance coverage for employees only; family member coverage is available at the employee’s full expense. Pension Plan vesting of 10% of Salary provided by the organization.
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Candidates will be reviewed until the position is filled. No follow-up calls or emails please. Mecklenburg County Medical Society actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates and is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age