Director of Information Technology
The National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) is seeking a Director of Information Technology to assist the organization. The IT Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the National Board of Examiners in Optometry’s information technology systems, networks, and security. This role involves strategic planning, implementation, and management of IT solutions to support NBEO’s mission. The IT Director will collaborate with internal teams, external partners, and stakeholders to enhance NBEO’s technological capabilities, optimize processes, and ensure data integrity and security.
Founded in 1951, the National Board of Examiners in Optometry is an independent, non-governmental, non-profit organization whose examinations are universally accepted for optometric licensure in the United States and internationally. NBEO’s mission is to protect the public by developing, administering, scoring, and reporting results of valid examinations that assess competency in optometry. NBEO has a full-time staff of 22 and utilizes over 100 optometrists as subject matter experts nationwide in support of its examination programs. NBEO is one of the few national boards in any profession with a repertoire of exams that include computer-based tests, an advanced competence exam, and clinical skills test using standardized patients at the National Center of Clinical Testing in Optometry (NCCTO). We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
This role is an onsite position based in Charlotte, NC.
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field (Master’s degree preferred)
• Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in IT roles, with at least 5 years in a leadership or managerial position
• Proven experience in strategic IT planning, organization, and development
• Strong background in managing complex IT projects and teams
• Experience working with non-profit organizations or within the testing or healthcare industry is preferred
• Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) interpersonal skills with experience delivering presentations to groups
• Ethical mindset
• Sound judgement
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines while adapting to changing priorities
• Responsible for the overall planning, organizing, and execution of all IT functions
• Manages the IT team, including developer(s), systems administrator(s)
• Directs all IT operations to meet user/client/candidate requirements
• Supports and maintains the existing applications and development of new technical solutions
• Develops and executes IT strategies aligned with the organization’s goals and objectives. This includes being responsible for strategic technology planning, security, implementation, and support as an integral component of business plans
• Manages and maintains the organization’s IT infrastructure, including servers, networks, and software applications
• Provides technical leadership and guidance to IT staff, ensuring their continuous professional development. This includes directing education programs for subordinate staff
• Collaborates with other departments to identify technology needs and propose solutions
• Analyzes complex business needs presented by the user community, clients and/or candidates and recommends technical solutions
• Evaluates and recommend new technologies and software to improve efficiency and productivity
• Develops and manages IT budgets, ensuring cost-effective use of resources
• Oversees vendor relationships and negotiate contracts for IT products and services
• Ensures compliance with relevant regulations and standards related to IT and data management
• Researches new technologies, tools and methodologies as they emerge that may be applicable to the enterprise data architecture
• Directs operations and establishes clear priorities in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds expectations
To support the health and safety of NBEO employees and optometry candidates, NBEO requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or to have received an approved accommodation based on medical condition or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Pre-employment drug screening is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Applicants should send their resume and cover letter to [email protected].