Vice President of Philanthropy
ASC is the Local Arts Agency for Charlotte-Mecklenburg and serves as the chief advocate, resource hub and steward for the region’s cultural community. Its core functions include advocacy, cultural education programs, cultural planning, fundraising, grant making, public art and workshops and trainings for the cultural community. ASC works to ensure Culture For All by combining resources from local and state government with those of the private sector to maximize community impact throughout the cultural sector.
General statement regarding the overall function, scope and purpose of the work to be performed.
The Vice President of Philanthropy (VPP) is a key member of the Arts & Science Council’s (ASC) Leadership Team, overseeing the planning and execution of all contributed revenue activities and resources. Specifically, the VPP has responsibility for overseeing all volunteer, sales and promotional activities needed to successfully reach annual individual, corporate, foundation, and workplace giving goals. This position serves as major gift officer for the organization and lead planned giving, endowment, and various donor engagement strategies that fuel the contributed revenue growth of ASC.
In partnership with the President and Board leadership, this position will play a vital role in developing and launching innovative new donor engagement strategies that will increase ASC’s contributed revenue in support of its mission. Works closely with VP’s of Public Relations & Marketing, Community & Artist Support, and Public Art.
Externally, the VPP will be a relationship-builder who maintains a high professional profile and can cultivate resources that enhance ASC’s role in the community. As a result of this community interaction, donor understanding of ASC’s mission and vision should be clear and defined.
Internally, the VPP will lead the Philanthropy Team and coordinate resources in a year-round donor engagement strategy to address the growth and sustainability for ASC and its work for the cultural community. The VPP is responsible for increasing staff skill and effectiveness within the Philanthropy Team and should employ innovative staffing strategies that leverage budget dollars and promote retention. The VPP will ensure that the Philanthropy Team is aware and supportive of all other programmatic areas.
The VPP leads the strategic implementation of recommendations made by the Cultural Vision Plan as they relate specifically to ASC’s Philanthropy program. The VPP must have the capacity to guide and lead the program in the context of best business practices, current philanthropic trends and ASC’s commitment to cultural equity.
• Spearhead the execution of ASC’s donor loyalty management process/philosophy that will build a more strategic and long-term relationship with ASC’s current donors (corporate, institutional and individual) and cultivate new relationships
• Provide vision, passion and expertise on matters related to fundraising and marketing to a local and national audience of diverse constituents
• Develop and manage a comprehensive major donor and corporate sponsorship prospect management system to facilitate all donor and sponsor cultivation/solicitation activities by senior staff, board members, and other volunteers
• Lead and motivate a Philanthropy team with full time positions and seasonal contractors to assist in managing contributed revenue volume. Additionally, lead and motivate ASC’s fundraising volunteers to ensure their success
• Serve as staff leader for the ASC Community Engagement Committee, and other volunteer committees as assigned. With other VPs, serve on ASC Staff Leadership Team
• Contribute to the success of ASC’s community engagement efforts by collaborating with the other members of the Community Engagement Team (Public Relations & Marketing) to develop and execute a cohesive, compelling presence for ASC and the cultural sector
• Cultivates volunteer, organizational and financial support throughout the external community
• Develop and maintain good relations with donors of influence
• Represent ASC to the region’s community of professional fundraisers, including active participation in the local chapter of AFP
Strategy and execution
• Develop and execute a contributed revenue plan that meets the strategic needs of ASC and its programs and initiatives. This also includes goals and strategies for all other contributed revenue channels, e.g. major giving, sponsorships, matching gifts, endowment giving and capital campaigns as needed
• Work with ASC team to ensure that ASC’s Philanthropy activities are adequately supported by ASC’s customer relations management (CRM) system that tracks donors’ demographic information, personal interests, and giving history. Ensure that team, board, and volunteers are equipped with the latest donor contact information for every solicitation effort
• Develop and implement an annual operating plan and budget for the Philanthropy Team, direct and implement that effort while controlling expenditures within approved parameters
• Ensure that the necessary human, financial and technological resources are budgeted and utilized as necessary to support the contributed revenue plan
• Develop annual, detailed work plan for VPP position that is approved by ASC President. Meet President to evaluate progress toward goals
• Establish clear, quantified annual work plan goals and objectives for each Philanthropy staff position. Meet regularly with each staff member to ensure they are being achieved. Work plan objectives should be clearly tied to annual financial goals and strategic objectives of the Community Engagement Committee
• In conjunction with the VP of Public Relations & Marketing, assist with design of all marketing materials related to contributed revenue generation, including all fund raising creative and collateral, and special events and promotions
• Perform other duties as apparent or assigned by ASC President
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of senior management experience in fundraising and/or sales and marketing
• Proven track record in achieving revenue growth in both sales and marketing channels
• Highly skilled in building and growing relationships with donors, volunteers and co-workers to successfully achieve mutual goals
• A polished and inspiring writer, presenter and public speaker who is comfortable communicating to senior business executives as well as artists and/or educators.
• Proven ability to analyze complex data sets and turn insights into successful fundraising or marketing strategies
• A passion and understanding for the cultural sector and its work in the community
• Complete control and cool under intense pressure
• Desire and skill at mentoring and leading employees in professional growth
• Curiosity and skill in using technology to achieve goals. Microsoft proficiency required, familiarity with donor software and/or CRM software helpful
• ASC’s team works in a hybrid environment, where workspace is available, or employees work from home
• The VP is frequently asked to attend and participate in meetings outside of the office or home office and occasionally will be asked to lift, carry, set-up and clean-up materials, up to 20 lbs.
• Attendance and participation at events and activities throughout the cultural community will be expected from time-to-time outside of normal office hours and on weekends
Send an email with your resume and cover letter with “VP of Philanthropy” in the subject line to: [email protected]
No phone calls please. ASC encourages applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.