VP, Impact for Nonprofits
Next Stage partners with nonprofits, private sector companies, government agencies, family institutions, philanthropy and community leaders to find common ground at the intersection of social impact. We listen first, center community voice and build effective strategies to mobilize movements that fuel community change initiatives. Key services include strategic planning, collaboration management, brand and content marketing, community engagement, and social responsibility services for the private sector.
To learn more about our work, please visit nextstage-consulting.com.
As we approach our tenth anniversary, Next Stage has accomplished much since it was founded. We have worked with more than 200 nonprofits across the Carolinas to build game-changing strategy and the organizational tools to realize those plans.
Next Stage is known for its thought leadership which has included the publication of three reports, including Profit & Purpose in 2021 and its ESG Addendum in 2023 – both examining how private sector companies engage with nonprofits and social impact efforts. In 2023, Next Stage is publishing Inside Out: The Case for Community Voice, a report outlining the importance of ensuring community engagement in the setting of goals, plans and policy.
In the past year, Next Stage launched a collaboration management and social learning platform called Cultivate Impact, a reimagining of the firm’s popular incubator for emerging nonprofits. The platform supports both capacity-building for nonprofits and collaboration efforts to realize new ways of making social impact. Next Stage is seeking to augment its analog consulting model with a digital platform that has the potential to scale nationally.
In 2023, the company moved into a new office at 1800 Central Avenue in the Plaza Midwood neighborhood of Charlotte. As a team committed to a hybrid workplace, Next Stage is continuing to grow into a nationally-recognized social impact company with Charlotte as its headquarters city.
Next Stage built its reputation working with nonprofit organizations, providing consulting services focused on optimizing business models and increasing impact. While the company has evolved its services and theory of change over the years, its commitment to the critical role of nonprofits remains steadfast.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP, Impact for Nonprofits will lead Next Stage’s strategic planning and organizational strengthening services for nonprofit clients. This multifaceted role calls for a shrewd strategy mind, exceptional active listening skills, an ability to connect with a wide variety of constituents, adept facilitation capability to lead task forces in establishing organization direction, and a strong writing skillset for client deliverables. While a tall order, it is also the skillset of our exceptional team of consultants and associates. You will be joining other “social good unicorns” who thrive on helping turn ambition into reality.
Key responsibilities include:
Project management (70%)
• Lead strategy and strengthening for a rolling portfolio of nonprofit clients, with specific focus on strategic planning, programming optimization, operational processes, external relations, staffing design and governance best practices
• Engage in discovery for clients to include primary research (e.g. stakeholder interviews, focus groups, surveys) and secondary research (e.g. trend research, landscape analysis, agency data)
• Create written assessments for clients consolidating research into findings, recommendations, concepts for consideration and questions for planning
• Facilitate series of planning sessions (called “intensives”) with client task forces (staff, board and guests) to explore assessment and establish direction
• Create written strategic roadmaps and in-depth project management plans to support the implementation of planning concepts
• Onboard planning tools with client including board, staff and key constituencies
• Support implementation services as contracted, which may include ongoing project management across a wide variety of services and supports in partnership with client staff
Business development (10%)
• Participate alongside Next Stage’s CEO in new business development activities
• Develop a quarterly/annual portfolio of organizations for communication and outreach
• Engage in relational marketing to source client leads and follow up on leads developed by firm leadership
• Attend community convenings and engage in networking on the firm’s behalf
• Research organizations, sectors and trends to stay contemporary with the needs of organizations across the Carolinas
• Meet with client prospects to understand needs and options for Next Stage services
• Create proposals for client prospects outlining firm services, timetables and team deployment
Thought leadership (10%)
• Participate in firm-wide thought leadership activities including topical report development, workshop facilitation and other efforts as assigned
• Write blog posts on contemporary topics and participate in video roundtables
• Support the efforts of local civic organizations and participate in speaking opportunities
Firm engagement and growth (10%)
• Participate in weekly team meetings and share progress on internal and external projects
• Engage with staff and contractors to advance client work and firmwide initiatives
• Champion productivity best practices methods and resources to ensure team synergy and transparency
Desired qualifications and competencies:
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
• 10+ years of experience at the manager/director level, with previous consulting experience preferred
• A commitment to the mission of strengthening the social good sector
• Deep, demonstrated experience in the nonprofit system
• Ability to manage and prioritize a portfolio with multiple clients and projects
• Must be a collaborative team player who can also work independently
• Ability to interface with clients and adaptable project manager for engagements with nonprofit organizations
• Exceptional written communication skills
• Experience across the social good business model including program design, governance, human capital and culture, partner development, resource development and marketing
• Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, project management and productivity tools (i.e. Asana, Slack, CRMs)
• An established network in the Carolinas is a plus but not a requirement in favor of consulting experience for nonprofits in other geographies
Base salary range is $110,000-$125,000. In addition to a competitive base salary and retirement benefits, Next Stage offers performance-based bonuses based on company profitability.
Send all inquiries, nominations and applications via email to Next Stage ([email protected]). Applications must include a custom/compelling cover letter and CV to be considered for the role. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity.
Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.