Director of Student Support and Wellness
Recognizing Charlotte Latin School’s commitment to whole-child education, the Director of Student Support and Wellness leads all efforts to integrate best practices in social, emotional, physical, intellectual, and academic well-being to encourage a balanced approach to teaching and learning for all students. By working collaboratively with a well-established team of learning resources educators, nurses, and school counselors, the Director designs and promotes curricular and programmatic interventions that foster healthy lifestyles and resilience among students.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Establish and execute a vision for student wellness that aligns with the school’s commitment to whole-child education and operationalizes Goal 3 of the Latin Leads strategic plan
• Develop a mission-aligned scope and sequence for social-emotional learning and wellness programming
• Partner with divisional academic leadership to design and implement social-emotional learning experiences for students, meaningful parent education, and professional development for faculty and staff
• Identify appropriate methods for engaging students in community wellness efforts
• Audit existing systems and develop appropriate structures for student support at the divisional and TK-12 levels
• Lead a Community Wellness Team to coordinate efforts among school nurses, counselors, Learning Resources, and others engaged in student wellness work
• Manage external relationships and networks, including mental health providers, occupational and speech therapists, and other professionals working to support student well-being
• Oversee wellness-related budgets
Manage the Student Support team, which includes the Assistant Director of Learning Resources and Lower, Middle, and Upper School nurses and counselors.
Education and experience:
• An advanced degree in Counseling, Education, Psychology, Psychiatry, Clinical Social Work, or a related field is required.
• The ideal candidate will possess a terminal degree in one of the aforementioned fields of study and have significant experience with psychoeducational assessment and analysis, instructional accommodations, school-based counseling, and best practices in wellness-focused programming and social-emotional curriculum development in a K-12 school setting.
• Expertise in Google Suite
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Capable of working independently and collaborating with others
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Adheres to the highest level of professionalism
• A philosophical alignment with our core values and curriculum and instruction, which can be found on our website: www.charlottelatin.org, including a commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion
Working conditions and environment:
• Intermittently lift, carry, push, and pull up to 15 pounds
• Continuously see, sit, balance, grasp, and have repetitive use of arms, wrists, hands, and fingers; and fine finger dexterity
• Frequently talk and hear
• Intermittently stand, stoop, bend, twist, crouch, kneel, crawl, walk, climb stairs and ladders, operate foot and hand controls, squeeze, and reach above shoulders
• Exposure to dust, chemicals, fumes, flammables, grease, dirt, stacked materials, electrical equipment, machinery, low to medium noise levels, and moderate heat and cold indoor temperatures
• Long or odd hours, as needed