Experience Facilitator (in-Museum team) PT
Discovery Place Kids – Huntersville. Join the in-museum team as an Experience Facilitator II – part-time
Facilitates guest experiences, including demonstrations, programming experiences, and shows, enthusiastically interacting and engaging with museum guests encouraging learning and development and performs admissions-related operations.
• The position currently requires weekends
• The museums are open most holidays, closing only for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Easter Sunday.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Facilitate day-to-day experiences, operational programs, public events and shows, and special programs and lead educational activities in a variety of settings (50%)
• Facilitate demonstrations, public shows, programs, and activities with a high level of professionalism
• Prioritize the guests experience by exhibiting care and concern when responding to or resolving guests issues
maintaining a positive attitude verbally and nonverbally
• Collaborates with Discovery Place KIDS leaders and team members including volunteers to execute high quality guests experiences
• Engage museum guests leveraging informal educational approaches and techniques, including predesigned and impromptu activities
• Contributes to building processes and systems that drive creativity, ongoing learning and successful
implementation of all museum experiences.
• Suggest content for variety of programming and methods of presentation, formally and informally
• Ensure relative experiences by adapting content and complexity to ages and interests of children and their families
• Assemble materials to be used in daily demonstrations and programming
• Assist in the implementation, operation, and execution of special event days
• Display a high level of enthusiasm, energy, and positive behavior to museum guests
• Contribute to the evaluation of the success of experiences through feedback provided by guests
Work as a forward-facing guest service representative at the admissions desk ensuring exceptional guest experience and interaction (20%)
• Greet guests as they enter the museum, conducting orientations for groups
• Check in guests and sell retail items through the point-of-sale systems at the front desk
• Accurately perform admissions transactions/reporting and follow cash handling procedures
• Inform guests of daily and special programming, learning opportunities, membership, and special events
• Provide input to management on feedback and information from guests
• Monitor inventory levels of consumables and retail merchandise at the front desk and exhibit
manipulatives and within the museum and proactively notify management of needs
• Process membership sales
Monitor the museum exhibits, activities, and environment to ensure safety and high-quality guest experience and engagement (30%)
• Perform exhibit checks and either correct problems or report them to management
• Enforce safety and other policies/procedures within the museum
• Initiate and assist in emergency response procedures in accordance with Discovery Place Emergency Response policies and procedures
• Perform daily housekeeping routines for museum activities and exhibits
• Provide detailed cleaning, sanitization, and organization of exhibits and areas during down time
• Maintain a clean and orderly work environment
Demonstrate behavior consistent with the organizational culture and expectations (100%)
• Continually maintain an outwardly positive demeanor toward coworkers and guests
• Maintain a collaborative, team-oriented approach, and can-do attitude
• Assist and support other team members and departments in their responsibilities when help is needed
• Welcome guests and team members from diverse backgrounds and abilities
• Display adaptability and flexibility in an ever-changing environment
• Assist in training and share business-related knowledge with fellow employees
• Maintain a consistently high level of performance
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies and seek continual improvement in each area:
• Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
• Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Supports the organizations goals and values.
• Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
• Initiative – Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities
• Reasoning – Solves practical problems and deals with a variety of variables in various situations.
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions.
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Cost Conscious – Conserves organizational resources. Interpretation Processes a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
• Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Guest Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
• Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats other with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
• Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Qualifications and skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and experience:
Degree-seeking and demonstrated experience in formal or informal education; two years of experience in education, museums or related organizations preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience. Fluency in Spanish is welcomed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Noise Level – The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud. Climate Must be able to work outdoors for moderate amounts of time. Highly Occupied Space Must be able to work in extremely crowded spaces with a large number of people (number of guests allowed in a museum or space may vary based on dynamic circumstances related to health in the community such as pandemics or other similar situations). While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to manipulate objects, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Also regularly required to talk and hear while performing the functions of this job.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.