PFLAG Charlotte seeks a passionate and versatile Executive Director to build on the organization’s growth over the past five years and steward the communities we serve through the challenging current sociopolitical climate. The ideal candidate will collaborate with a small team of professionals, partner with the Board of Directors, and engage volunteers to execute the vision of PFLAG Charlotte.
Who we are:
PFLAG Charlotte is an LGBTQ+ allyship organization comprised of parents, families, allies, and LGBTQ+ people whose mission is dedicated to creating a caring, just, and affirming community for LGBTQ+ individuals and those who love them. We support families, educate allies, and advocate for equality. Since our founding in 1987, PFLAG Charlotte works each day to ensure LGBTQ+ people are safe, celebrated, empowered, and loved.
Leading with love, PFLAG Charlotte has experienced tremendous growth over the past several years, meeting people where they are in their individual journeys and experiences. In 2021, we hired our first Executive Director; we have since added professional staff focused on community engagement, education, and peer support programming. Our impact is significant:
Over 5,000 area professionals have attended a PFLAG Charlotte Fostering LGBTQ+ Allyship educational program for the workplace.
An additional 1,500 healthcare providers have participated in a PFLAG Charlotte Affirming Healthcare for LGBTQ+ Individuals workshop.
500 people participate in our peer support programming annually; we offer peer support groups in three locations and online. Additionally, this fall we launched a new peer support group for Spanish speakers.
We collaborate with a wide range of area companies and community organizations.
PFLAG Charlotte is one of the few PFLAG chapters in the country with paid staff. We have experienced yearly revenue growth for the last five years, with contributions from individuals, local and national corporations, memberships, program services, and philanthropic grants. This growth has been due in part to the increasing need for our services as the families and communities we serve experience the impacts of a more difficult sociopolitical climate in North Carolina.
To learn more, read our 2022 Gratitude & Impact Report here, and visit our website.
What you will do as the next Executive Director:
• Work collaboratively with the staff and Board to engage volunteers and donors in support of the mission and vision of PFLAG Charlotte
• Foster a sense of belonging for all who have found their way to our organization, ensuring our organization is diverse, equitable, and inclusive
• Rally volunteers and donors to secure resources, both human and financial, to support our work
• Create and execute an annual operations plan with key goals, actions, and tactics, ensuring appropriate implementation of, accountability for, and execution of mission-focused programming and chapter operations
• Cultivate and nurture a true partnership between the Board of Directors and the staff, built on mutual respect and trust
• Community Engagement: Serve as the spokesperson and primary community relationship builder for the organization, inspiring individuals, corporations, and mission-aligned organizations to partner with PFLAG in creating a more inclusive community
• Fundraise: Serve as the chief fundraiser of the organization, setting fundraising strategy in partnership with the development committee. In partnership with the staff, board and volunteers identify, engage, solicit, and close gifts while carefully nurturing donor relationships
• Nonprofit Management: Oversee chapter operations, including human resources, technology, marketing and communications, and media and public relations
• Strategic Planning: Establish effective decision making at all levels to ensure that voices are heard and that short- and long-term goals are met. Work with the board to set strategic vision and goals
• Program Management: Align program offerings with PFLAG’s mission and strategic goals, regularly evaluating the program portfolio to ensure they are meeting the evolving needs of the communities served
• Financial Management: Ensure the organization is fiscally sound and is following best practices in nonprofit accounting. In partnership with the Board’s Finance Committee, ensure that all financial reports are completed in a timely, transparent, and accessible way
• Staff Leadership: Lead, mentor, and retain an effective, collaborative, and diverse staff dedicated to the mission and with the requisite skills to be successful in their work.
• Board Engagement: Provide the Board of Directors with the resources, information, and training necessary to fulfill their duties and to serve as organizational ambassadors. Help identify prospective Board members who bring the skills, attributes, and lived experience necessary for the organization to be the best it can be and to ensure its long-term sustainability
Key lived experiences and skillsets sought in the next Executive Director:
• A deep commitment and experience supporting LGBTQ+ individuals and their families with empathy and compassion
• An inspiring bridge-builder, communicator, and storyteller. Comfortable representing the organization – with stakeholders, the media, PFLAG National leaders, and in corporate and community spaces
• Culturally responsive and emotionally intelligent, with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Leader and manager with a growth mindset who is open to learning and adapting
• Knowledge of the Charlotte/Mecklenburg County nonprofit and philanthropic landscape preferred
• Experience working with or in the nonprofit sector, or a certificate in nonprofit management or diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Five+ years of leadership experience, with experience in board relations and team/volunteer management.
The salary is commensurate with the requirements of the position in the $60-70K range. Benefits include paid time off. PFLAG Charlotte generally follows the federal paid holiday schedule.
Click on the link to the PFLAG Charlotte Executive Director position at www.ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact [email protected]. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites. Review of candidates will begin in October and continue until the position is filled.
PFLAG Charlotte is committed to fostering a diverse and equitable organization and encourages applications from candidates from historically underrepresented backgrounds. PFLAG Charlotte does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law.