The 2025 Duke’s Mayo Classic will be a battle for North Carolina bragging rights.
What’s happening: The Charlotte 49ers play the Appalachian State Mountaineers in the 2025 Duke’s Mayo Classic on Thursday, Aug. 28, at Bank of America Stadium.
Why it matters: The Charlotte 49ers will play at Bank of America Stadium for the first time. They’re also seeking their first win against the Mountaineers, whom they’ve lost to three times.
Between the lines: While the Charlotte Sports Foundation, which oversees the Duke’s Mayo Classic, has not announced a double-header for 2025, there is room for a future Saturday game.
Context: CSF organized two kickoff games the last time the Mountaineers were in town in 2021: App State vs. East Carolina on a Thursday night and Georgia vs. Clemson on a Saturday. The double-header had an estimated economic impact of $48.8 million.
Flashback: Charlotte and App State met for the first time in 2018 at Charlotte’s Jerry Richardson Stadium, which holds just over 15,000. The 49ers added temporary seating to accommodate the demand for tickets. The game drew 19,151 fans.
- App State vs. East Carolina drew 36,752 at Bank of America Stadium in 2021.
- “We have an incredible base of alumni and fans in the Charlotte area as evidenced by the crowd in our last Duke’s Mayo Classic appearance,” App State director of athletics Doug Gillin said in a statement. “These kinds of matchups are great for the state of North Carolina and great for college football.”
What they’re saying: “We believe the atmosphere in the Queen City will be electric and both the Mountaineers and 49ers will be well represented,” CSF executive director Danny Morrison said in a statement.
Details: The kickoff time, broadcast details and ticket information are TBD.
What’s next: Upcoming Duke’s Mayo Classic games include:
- NC State vs. Tennessee on Sept. 7, 2024.
- NC A&T vs. NC Central on Aug. 28, 2027.
- Tennessee vs. West Virginia in 2028.
Zoom out: CSF and Tepper Sports & Entertainment recently extended their deal, which will keep the Duke’s Mayo Classic and the Duke’s Mayo Bowl at the stadium in the coming years. The bowl game has been played at the stadium for 22 years.