Be Your Own Person, a locally owned vintage clothing shop, recently opened in South End.
What’s happening: BYOP owner Darion Martin expanded the popular vintage collection shop into a larger storefront.
- Martin previously operated his store in east Charlotte and Monroe, and he says both locations received a lot of support over the years. He needed more space to showcase his products.
- “I always wanted to offer different neighborhoods a unique retail experience that people don’t have nearby. BYOP is like art, memorabilia and nostalgia all in one place,” Martin said.
Inventory: Expect a range of goods, from vintage knick-knacks to clothing, throughout the store.
- Vintage items dating back to the 60s include posters, toys, local sports memorabilia, shorts and hats. The store features new items daily since customers have the option to sell or trade their own vintage pieces.
- Martin also sells his own BYOP-branded shirts, shorts and hats at the store.
Bonus: Customers can also customize purchased apparel in the store.
- BYOP offers screen printing, alteration services and custom embroidery to design items that fit the customers’ personal style.
- “Everything about my brand is unique and I want people to feel a part of creating something that is unique for them,” Martin said.
The intrigue: Many products (includes ones that are not for sale but on display) are Charlotte memorabilia like sports items and maps.
- A table in the center of the store showcases several items from Charlotte Hornets super fan John Jackson, formerly known as “Redd Foxx”, who only missed two games since 1988.
- There’s also a map of the city and surrounding areas prior to the first construction of the I-485 outer loop.
- “It’s really my duty to share pieces of Charlotte’s history from local items I’ve collected with my community,” Martin said.
- It’s open daily from 1-8pm.
Go deeper: 9 of Charlotte’s best secondhand stores