Open Communications Director position in the Washington, DC or Charlotte District Office of Congresswoman Alma S. Adams, Ph.D. The Office of Congresswoman Alma S. Adams, Ph.D. is seeking a Communications Director that can work in Washington DC or the Charlotte, NC District Office.
The Communications Director is expected to work closely with the Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff / District Director, and the Legislative Director to develop and execute a comprehensive and aggressive strategic plan to inform constituents and the media about Congresswoman Adams and her work as a member of congress. This includes making media pitches, organizing press events, and reviewing, drafting, and finalizing statements, talking points/speeches, press releases, media advisories, and other messaging (e.g., newsletters and social media). Finally, the Communications Director will oversee all Franked communications, which includes mailers. Successful candidates will be exceptional writers and have strong experience working in fast-paced environments and implementing aggressive communications plans. North Carolina ties strongly preferred.
View the full job description attached.
• Develop strategic communications plans and work closely with the DC and District Offices to implement successful media strategies
• Produce written and visual content for the office, including but not limited to press releases, statements, social media post and weekly newsletters
• Manage, mentor, and grow the communications team, focusing on staff professional development, skill building, and efficient workflows
• Build and sustain strong relationships with North Carolina and national print, online, radio, and broadcast media (reporters, producers, editors, columnists, etc), and remain ready to identify creative ways to pitch the Member
• Prepare, brief, and staff the Member for media interviews, press conferences, roundtables, and other engagements
• Draft and edit office materials, talking points, speeches, press releases, op-eds, and other materials as necessary
• Speak on background or on the record with reporters when necessary and act as a media liaison for the Member
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or equivalent professional experience
• Previous Capitol Hill, campaign or political experience strongly preferred
• Exceptionally strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
• Previous on the record experience
• Experience managing others and promoting professional development
• Deep understanding of print, broadcast, and online media and how to successfully create and leverage opportunities in each
• Strategic thinker, politically savvy, and ability to manage competing priorities and develop solutions under tight deadlines
• Ability to work well with others, willingness to take initiative, manage competing priorities, and turn around high-quality products under tight deadlines are a must
• Works a flexible schedule, including long hours on nights and weekends
Rep. Alma S. Adams’ office provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a resume, three references, and three writing samples to [email protected] with “[NAME] –Communications Director” in the subject line.