A new restaurant called 3rd & Fernwood is opening at the Metropolitan this fall.
- James Beard-nominated chef Cleophus Hethington will be the executive chef.
What to expect: 3rd & Fernwood will have an “approachable” menu, according to Greg, who says it’s still being finalized but is planning a fried chicken thigh sandwich, grilled catfish and three cheese mac, among other options.
- The 5,200-square-foot restaurant will have 100 seats, 20 at the bar and 20 outside.
- Eventually, it’ll also have a speakeasy that fits 18 people and will have a separate entrance.
The big picture: The Colliers, who own and operate the Bayhaven Restaurant Group, are some of Charlotte’s most well-known industry experts, not only because of their highly successful restaurants but also because of the work they do in the community.
- “I think the next step of our growth is mentoring and putting people in place to be on their own stage,” Greg told me last year, adding that their mission is centered on uplifting, nurturing and promoting Black culinary excellence.
- You can get a taste of Hethington’s recipes at the Colliers’ third annual BayHaven Food & Wine Festival this October.
Zoom in: Hethington is a two-time James Beard Award finalist from South Florida. He skipped culinary school and worked his way up in restaurants in Miami, New York, Atlanta, Italy and Brazil.
Details: 3rd & Fernwood will be located at 1100 Metropolitan Ave., where Hickory Tavern used to be.
- It’ll open 11am-3pm to start and eventually will extend its hours to 8pm.
What’s next: BayHaven Restaurant Group plans to open 3rd & Fernwood before Thanksgiving.
Zoom out: Under new ownership, the Metropolitan is in the midst of a refresh that includes the addition of several new tenants. Other new additions set to open soon include Cornelius-based Lost Worlds Beer and Joan’s Bakery and Deli by the Dressler’s.