• Salary Range: $54,898 – $85,092
• Hiring Range: $54,898 – $69,995
The Town of Matthews offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package including 10 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, longevity pay, medical insurance, paid parental leave, health reimbursement account (HRA), dental plan, vision insurance, North Carolina Local Government Employees Retirement Plan, 457 and 401K Retirement Accounts, Flexible Spending & Dependent Care Accounts, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and accident and critical illness insurance.
Performs intermediate professional work managing the operations and maintenance of the Town’s parks, outdoor recreation program planning, parks facility reservations, and special projects.
(The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the class.)
• Plans, organizes, and manages the operation and maintenance of the various Town parks, playgrounds, and open spaces; performs regularly scheduled park and playground inspections
• Plans, organizes, and promotes outdoor recreation programs and activities for various age groups; arranges schedules, locations, and personnel to staff such activities
• Designs and implements new recreation programs at park facilities; collaborates with other Parks and Recreation staff to design and deliver outdoor events and programs
• Arranges logistics and schedules and supervises part-time, temporary, volunteer staff, and participants; provides training, ensures safety, and provides performance coaching and evaluation; assists with summer camp programs as needed
• Oversees the process of park facility rentals; assesses potential renters and evaluates the impact on facilities; supervises the registration of participants for various programs and events; maintains various records of events
• Monitors and assures safety and clean and neat appearance of parks, playgrounds, and associated facilities; gives directions to staff for preparation of center for activities; coordinates maintenance and repair needs with Town staff
• Prepares and administers division budget for park facilities; manages expenditures; purchases materials and maintains an inventory of equipment and supply needs
• Suggests improvements for parks; plans and develops park projects; writes grants; administers grant projects
• Coordinates park maintenance projects with the Public Works Department
• Partners with the community and other organizations to design and deliver outdoor events and programs; provides necessary liaison with other public and private groups and agencies
• Prepares and maintains records and reports as needed
• Performs related duties as required
Knowledge skills and abilities:
(The knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
• Considerable knowledge of philosophy, principles, practices, and methods of parks and recreation and leisure administration
• Considerable knowledge of techniques used to plan, market, and evaluate events
• Considerable knowledge of current literature, trends, and developments in the field of parks and recreation activities
• Knowledge of standard resources, materials, and facilities utilized in a parks and recreation program
• Knowledge of the application of information technology and social media to parks and recreation programming, marketing, and records management
• Knowledge of the equipment and techniques necessary to successfully oversee park facilities
• Knowledge of Town personnel, budgeting, and purchasing policies and procedures
• Knowledge of first aid methods and necessary safety precautions to be used in recreation work
• Ability to effectively plan and execute a year-round program of recreational activities, considering the proper timing of activities
• Ability to plan and coordinate the work of temporary, volunteer, and paid workers
• Ability to express ideas effectively and communicate effectively in oral and written forms
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, citizens, employees, supervisors, and participants
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 20 pounds amount of force frequently; and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, operate a computer terminal, utilize measuring devices, operate a motor vehicle, and inspect the work of others
Must be conscious of safety methods to avoid injury to others and themselves; Subject to hazards in parks and recreation including working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as noise, moving mechanical parts, chemicals, dust, atmospheric conditions, and oils. This position is subject to all State and Federal OSHA regulations, including, but not limited to the following: bloodborne pathogens, hazard communication/GHS, personal protective equipment, slips, trips, and falls, etc.
Education and experience requirements:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Recreation Management or related field and some experience working in parks and recreation programming and facilities management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificate and licence requirements:
Valid Driver’s License Required; Must possess a Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) Certification or be able to obtain within six (6) months of hire date.
Conditions of employment:
The Town of Matthews requires background checks to be conducted on the final candidate(s) applying for any position with the Town of Matthews. For this position, final candidates must pass a background process to include but not limited to work history verification, professional/personal reference checks, pre-employment drug screening, criminal background, and driving record checks. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test and/or participate in other assessments.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Matthews provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in all terms and conditions of employment.
The Town of Matthews is an at-will employer.