Director of Engagement
Do you enjoy meeting and connecting people? Christ Episcopal Church is seeking an outgoing person to join our team as the Director of Engagement. The primary responsibility will involve building relationships with parishioners that will foster active participation, spiritual growth, service, and advocacy. This person should be self-motivated and will be part of a team that is encouraged to think creatively and work collaboratively. We are looking for a candidate with a passion for building community and a desire to help our parishioners feel connected and engaged. This is a full-time position with the expectation that some of the time worked would be Sunday morning.
The primary role of the Director of Engagement is to build relationships with parishioners that foster active participation, spiritual growth, service, and advocacy, while promoting connection and fellowship within the Christ Church community. The Director of Engagement will work directly with, and report to, the Director of Newcomers and Parish Life.
In addition to the Director of Newcomers and Parish Life, the Director of Engagement will work closely with other church staff and lay leaders to ensure the success of our common mission to love God, care for one another, and serve the world. Our staff is highly collaborative, made up of creative thinkers who can work independently and as part of a cohesive, effective team. We’re looking for a candidate who has a passion for building community, for advancing spiritual growth, and can bring innovative ideas to enhance the experience of our church community.
• Cultivate relationships with parishioners, both current and new, through in-person meetings, Sunday morning connections, and regular communications to foster a strong commitment to the church’s mission and activities
• Act as an advocate and resource for parishioners to help them feel heard and known
• Develop and execute a strategy aimed at further connecting and engaging newcomers to the church
• Develop and execute a strategy to identify and reconnect disengaged members
• Plan and coordinate events that provide fellowship and connection, including small group events that target ages and stages, with the goal of fostering connection among members
• Lead classes or initiatives to educate the parish about ways to be involved and engaged, including opportunities for various ages and stages
• Work with other ministry areas to create opportunities to celebrate milestones in parishioners’ lives (births, baptisms, marriages, etc.)
• Track and analyze data to assess ways to further engage parishioners, as well as to provide suggestions for support to various ministry areas
• Work with the Generosity Ministry Team to help parishioners identify their own gifts and potential areas of interest
• Together with the Generosity Ministry Team, develop a shared strategy to educate and engage the parish around our wholistic generosity approach, which includes the sharing of time and talent in addition to financial resources
• Participate on Hospitality Committee and Generosity Commission
• Work closely with the Communications Team to ensure accurate and effective promotion of engagement opportunities
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Community Development, Pastoral Studies, or a related field.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Demonstrated success in volunteer recruitment and management
• Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with great attention to detail
• Strong understanding of the church’s values, mission, and vision and a comfort in speaking about one’s personal faith
• Proficiency in data tracking and analysis to inform strategic decisions
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools, as well as database knowledge for use in data tracking and analysis to drive decision-making
• High level of organization and project management skills
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds
• Ability to work flexible hours, including Sundays and occasional evenings