If you’re a North Carolina resident looking for a new home elsewhere in the state, where you’re searching could determine how far your money goes.
What’s happening: Prospective homebuyers in Raleigh frequently search for real estate in Charlotte, and Charlotte buyers often search in Raleigh, Axios’ Zachary Eanes recently reported.
- The data shows Charlotteans make up 35.7% of people searching through Raleigh listings.
- By comparison, prospective buyers in Raleigh make up nearly 43% of the Zillow searches for homes in Charlotte.
Why it matters: Many cross-state relocations are driven by housing affordability.
- Both Charlotte and Raleigh have some of the hottest housing markets in the county. Prospective homebuyers compete with all-cash offers. Both cities have seen a surge of homes listed above $1 million.
Yes, but: Prices vary depending on which neighborhood you’re eyeing.
- Popular neighborhoods in Charlotte — including Plaza Midwood, Dilworth and Myers Park — can range from $750,000 to more than $1,400,000.
- Raleigh’s popular neighborhoods — including Brier Creek, Downtown and North Hills — can range from $420,000 to $850,000 and up.
Bottomline: It pays to shop around.
Here’s a look at what 10 homes are going for in Charlotte and Raleigh within each price range.
- Neighborhood: Mineral Springs / Rumple Road
- Realtor: Victor Valle Nunez • HomeSmart Expert Realty
- Specs: 4 beds, 2.5 baths and 1,568 square feet
- Neighborhood: Beachwood
- Realtor: Kameron Kalk • DASH Carolina
- Specs: 3 beds, 2.5 baths and 1,813 square feet
- Neighborhood: Lakewood
- Realtor: Paul Jamison and Jessica Dobbs • Keller Williams South Park
- Specs: 4 beds, 2.5 baths and 2,144 square feet
- Neighborhood: Oak Haven
- Realtor: Juan Rodriguez • Northside Realty Inc.
- Specs: 3 beds, 2.5 baths and 1,713 square feet
- Neighborhood: Fourth Ward
- Realtor: Jeff Hansen • Helen Adams Realty
- Specs: 2 beds, 2 baths and 1,185 square feet
- Neighborhood: College Park
- Realtor: Cathy Reed • Dogwood Properties
- Specs: 3 beds, 2.5 baths and 1,577 square feet
- Neighborhood: Dilworth
- Realtor: Jennifer Barbin and Brian Michaels • COMPASS
- Specs: 3 beds, 2.5 baths and 2,447 square feet
- Neighborhood: Wilmont
- Realtor: Kimberlie Meeker • Carpenter Real Estate Group
- Specs: 4 beds, 2.5 baths and 3,100 square feet
- Neighborhood: Cotswold
- Realtor: Missy Highsmith and Chris Carey • Mackey Realty LLC
- Specs: 4 beds, 3.5 baths and 3,674 square feet
- Neighborhood: North Glen/Scarsdale
- Realtor: Gracie Goins • Howard Perry & Walston Realtor
- Specs: 5 beds, 4 baths and 3,760 square feet