Executive Assistant to the Clergy
Temple Israel is a growing and vibrant, warm and welcoming, financially stable, progressive Conservative Jewish synagogue of over 500 families with an average age of 44 and an annual operating budget of $2.3 million. We engage our congregants through Shabbat and Holiday services with prayer and music for adults and young families, Jewish life-cycle observances, daily minyan, adult and youth education, social action engagement, and other experiences enriching the lives and spirituality of our congregants. For more information, please visit www.templeisraelnc.org,
Temple Israel is located in Charlotte, NC on Shalom Park, a beautiful park-like campus with other Jewish agencies. Charlotte is one of the fastest growing, livable, friendly cities in the U.S. and is located three hours from the mountains and the beach.
The Executive Assistant to the Clergy is an integral member of the Temple Israel team and works closely with our clergy. This person is responsible for assisting the Senior Rabbi and Cantor in the performance of their responsibilities and the general role is to maintain the operation and details of the clergy office. He/she may serve as the voice of the clergy in administrative situations and needs to maintain complete confidentiality while demonstrating excellent communication skills and hospitality.
Responsibilities of the Executive Assistant to the Clergy:
• Manage calendars and provide general support for the Senior Rabbi and Cantor
• Liaise with B’nai Mitzvah families and staff to coordinate the B’nai Mitzvah process, including:
• Organizing date selection process
• Serving as point person for all B’nai Mitzvah family needs
• Scheduling meetings with clergy
• Preparing materials for students and families in advance of meetings
• Managing flow of B’nai Mitzvah, families, and friends and logistics surrounding Shabbat services on occasional Friday nights and Shabbat mornings when we have B’nai Mitzvah or a relevant program
• Maintain integrity of clergy calendar by inputting meetings and events accurately and thoroughly and reviewing calendars daily, weekly, and monthly
• Schedule and confirm appointments and adjust if necessary
• Maintain a kind and welcoming stance, even when denying or delaying requests
• Prepare Rabbi and Cantors pulpit documents for use at the Friday night and Saturday morning services
• Maintain documentation process for lifecycle and calendar events
• Revise and update the processes
• Pastoral support efforts: maintain database of members in need, schedule visits, follow up with next action items
• Proactively maintain contact and offer support to members during lifecycles
• Manage the conversion program: track participants, schedule meetings, coordinate conversion ceremony
Competencies and qualifications:
• Passion for Temple Israel’s mission and work
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to interact flexibly and compassionately with a wide variety of people
• Ability to maintain a high level of discretion
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong and consistent attention to detail
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and proactively think
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, purpose-driven and fluid environment
• Good sense of humor
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to learn programs like Zoom, Streamspot, and ShulCloud database
• Basic knowledge of Jewish practice, rituals, and culture are a plus
• 3-4 years of office experience
Full time, Monday-Thursday 9am-5pm, Fridays 9am-3pm
Up to $42,000/annually based upon education and experience; non-profit Charlotte-area comparable employee benefits having employer/employee cost-sharing, and paid time off.
We offer a strong, supportive positive team of staff, volunteers and congregants who are excited to welcome you into our community.
Applications will be confidential with reference inquiries being done with the permission of the candidate. A satisfactory background check is required prior to employment.
Equal Opportunity & Diversity: Temple Israel prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce.