With locations in Portland, Boise, Tacoma and Charleston, among others, The Matador is known for its selection of agave spirits.
The Mexican restaurant chain is set to open on South Boulevard this fall, per a press release.
Details: The Matador will open in a building that once housed Charlotte’s second-oldest fire station. The restaurant will have more than 3,000 square feet of space with indoor and outdoor seating.
- It’ll also have a twice-daily food happy hour from 4-6pm, then from 10pm to last call. They’ll have “food specials such as grande nachos, haba prawns, grilled stuffed jalapeños and street tacos,” per their media contact Abigail Purvis.
- Plus, they’ll offer “top shelf Tuesday,” with half-off any agave spirit over $16 on Tuesdays.
What they’re saying: Transplants familiar with the brain are excited to see the Charlotte expansion and took to Instagram to share their thoughts.
- “I’m from Portland and this is one of my favorite spots. Super excited,” Brandy said.
- “I live for those nachos and margs. VERY happy to have a piece of Tacoma our here!!” Kortney said.
Context: The property at South Boulevard and South Caldwell Street was built in 1958 to house Fire Station #2., Axios reported in 2021. In 1982, the city converted the building into a research and testing facility for the fire department. That’s how it operated until 2015, when the city sold the building to developer SLT Commercial Properties.
- The developer has been renovating the property for the last couple of years.
Details: The Matador will be at 1215 South Blvd.
- It’ll be open daily from 11am-midnight.