Business Intelligence Developer
Business Intelligence Developers (BID) are responsible for analyzing, providing specifications for, and writing individual reports for assigned applications to support the needs of end users, senior leadership, and the Epic project team. This position serves as the primary reporting resource for the Epic Cogito application and have the responsibility for system support maintenance, analysis, design, and change control of all reporting components used to build and manage CEENTA’s reporting.
• Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts and members of leadership to gather, analyze, and document BI requirements
• Assesses reporting needs to Epic customers through investigations, analysis and evaluation to create desired reports. Receives and documents formal requests from customer including specifications (layout, calculations, data source, etc.) Evaluates requests for completeness and if needed works with customer to finalize request
• Define report requirements; design/develop/test/install/implements report-based programs; report programming designs; and code/test/debug/document system scripts, programs, and reports in application, web, and database environments. Design, code, test, and maintain BI reporting and analytics objects, including extracts, utilizing industry best practices
• Maintain a high level of awareness of the current and future BI technologies and best practices and fully understand the various organizational structures of CEENTA and their unique requirements. Perform project planning related to BI solutions development tasks including effort and completion date estimates
• Obtain and transfer knowledge appropriately when new software or hardware are implemented
• Responsible for maintaining data integrity and the ongoing quality control of delivered reports. Validates system build/reports designs and performs audit and report findings of security and data controls
• Work with external organizations and third-party vendors to securely extract and share data
• Designs and documents the general functional requirements and detailed technical specifications for a report/database
• Validate model system reports and identify advanced reporting needs with report consumers
• Collaborate and partner with executive leadership, shareholders, and leaders within information systems, clinic operations, management, and reporting Document main points, issues, and key decisions
• Ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the position
• The ability to work on-site
• Predictable, reliable, and prompt attendance
Skills and abilities:
• In-depth knowledge and experience with relational database concepts and query tools. Sound knowledge of SQL tuning and data extraction methodologies. Ability to use OLAP and OLTP technologies along with knowledge of data warehouses/data stores and data marts to execute SQL query techniques
• Strong background in programming, systems analysis, design, and problem solving
• Extensive knowledge of reporting programs and tools reports creation and maintenance including Epic Reporting Workbench, Epic Clarity, Chronicles, and Crystal Reporting writing will be utilized on the Reporting Team
• Demonstrates the ability to build relationships and effectively communicate with the project team, and key clinical stakeholders, including business services, nurses and physicians. Works closely and collaboratively with other project team members including business and clinical leaders
• Experience organizing and running multiple projects required
• Can provide regular status updates to project lead/manager
• Strong organization, analysis and problem-solving skills required, with an emphasis on attention to detail and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Approaches problems constructively by focusing on how to move the project forward
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills and effective communication skills, written and oral
• Demonstrates the ability to adapt to project changes related to scope, schedule, workflow, and system utilization
• Excellent business analytical skills and general knowledge of statistics
• Ability to adapt to a changing environment, problem solve and develop solutions. Strong documentation and communication skills
• Experience with Microsoft Office or similar software required
• Data Management and Informatics
• Principles of Information Technology
• Complex Problem Solving
• Active Learning
• Information Monitoring
• Databases and Applications
Epic certifications require either in-person (Verona, WI) or virtual classroom training through Epic Systems. Most certifications require the trainee to submit a project and pass an exam. Staff will have 3 attempts to pass each exam.
Cogito Team Members should expect to become proficient in their application area within 6 months. Full competency is expected within 12-18 months. Analysts are also expected to be familiar with CEENTA workflows and standards within 6 months.
Our mission is to be the premier eye, ear, nose, and throat group providing comprehensive, quality, and ethical healthcare to all in the Carolinas; to provide a favorable environment for the delivery of healthcare; and to provide for the wellbeing of the physicians and the employees of Charlotte Eye Ear Nose & Throat Associates, P.A.
The BI Developer oversees developing, deploying, and maintaining BI interfaces which insures that CEENTA management and providers have timely access to accurate data to make informed decisions which improves the delivery of care to CEENTA’s patients.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or Health Information Management preferred.
2 + years of Epic Cogito experience preferred.
Certificates, licenses, registrations:
Cogito Fundamentals, Caboodle Data Model, and Clarity Data Model certifications preferred. Certification must be obtained within 3 months of hire date.
Certifications relating to other Epic modules, software applications, technology infrastructure, and or clinical specializations are an advantage.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The BI Developer reports to the Manager of Data Analytics and BI. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Position type and expected hours of work:
Full-time. Standard hours of operation (and working hours): 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Additional evening/weekend hours may be required to complete system updates.
Upon successful completion of a probationary period and in good standing, employee is eligible for remote work.
Physical and mental requirements:
The physical and mental demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit in front of a computer for long hours, type, and repetitively click a mouse.
Mental Demands: Employee will need to have the ability to problem solve, work under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment, use discretion and sensitivity, and work alone for long stretches of time.
Minimal – may travel to satellite offices as business needs arise.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. In addition to those essential functions identified above, individuals in this position are also responsible for performing other duties or tasks that may be assigned. CEENTA retains the discretion to ad or change the essential job functions of this position at any time without notice.
A typical day in the position:
The BI Developer will spend most of their time building custom reports that cannot be completed with the available reporting tools in Hyperspace (Reporting Workbench, Dashboards, SlicerDicer). They will accomplish this by using SQL to access the different databases (Clarity & Caboodle) and creating custom relational logic to fit the request of the user. After creating the custom report, the BI Developer will then assure the delivery of this report is appropriate by determining the best BI vehicle to utilize. The BI Developer will also work closely with our Database Administrator and ETL Administrator to assure all active reports are appropriately pulling the correct data and validate the integrity of the data.
The Company bases all applicant and employee employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, national origin, sex, uniform service, veteran status, protected disability, and any other category protected under federal or state law. This policy of equal employment opportunity applies to all policies and procedures relating to employment including, but not limited to recruitment, placement, employee training and development, promotion, benefits, compensation, leaves of absence, position elimination, layoff, recall, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. The Company opposes racial injustice and racial inequality. We strive to provide a diverse workplace wherever employee’s background and experiences are important and bring value to us as an organization. Employees should bring any violations of this policy to the attention of Human Resources.
The South Carolina Pregnancy Accommodation Act protects individuals from employment discrimination for medical needs arising from pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. The Act, which amended the South Carolina Human Affairs Law, also requires that employers provide reasonable accommodations for medical needs arising from pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. Should you have any questions, please contact Human Resources.
Accessibility Accommodation Statement Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Associates is committed to complying with all applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended (“ADA”), and applicable state and local laws. It is the Company’s policy not to discriminate against any qualified employee or applicant with regard to any terms or conditions of employment on the basis of such an individual’s disability. If you are an applicant and need a reasonable accommodation when applying for job opportunities within the Company or request a reasonable accommodation to utilize the Company’s online employment application, please contact [email protected].