There’s a new race in town.
What’s happening: The Meck Mile presented by Albemarle debuts May 25, 2024 at American Legion Memorial Stadium in Elizabeth.
Why it matters: Charlotte Sports Foundation, the organizer or the event, is known for putting on marquee events in Charlotte, including the Duke’s Mayo Classic and Bowl, which draw thousands of people to Charlotte every year.
- “It could be someone’s first mile or it could be someone’s fastest mile,” CSF spokesperson Miller Yoho tells Axios.
Details: The race, which is intended to be an annual event, is open to all ages and skill levels. You can walk, run or dance your way around the course, which is two laps around the stadium. The finish line is midfield inside the stadium. Participants will compete in heats of 25.
- The event will run from 1-9pm and will include live music and a kids’ zone, plus food and drink.
Price: Registration is available on MeckMile.com for these categories:
- Recreational participants will have one hour to walk or run their way through the course. Registration costs $20 today and will increase to $25 on Thursday, Aug. 17.
- Competitive participants are categorized as someone who can run a mile in under 12 minutes. It’s $25 to register today and $30 starting Aug. 17.
- Elite runners should be able to run a mile in under 5 minutes for men and under 5:30 for women. Registration is $35 today and will increase to $40 starting Aug. 17.
- Kids dash participants will run on the field and must be 6 years old or younger. Kids age 11 and under will be able to run a half mile race on the course. Kids run for free.
- Professional runners will be invite only.
- Of note: Prices will continue to rise as the race approaches.