SkyCycle is an open-air cycling studio in Dilworth, and it’s now under new ownership.
Classes are held seven days a week on the rooftop of Inizio Pizza in Dilworth Crossing.
Why it matters: Charlotte loves to cycle — the 2023 Best of ClassPass Awards named cycling as one of Charlotte’s top three workouts, in addition to yoga and strength training.
The intrigue: SkyCycle’s open-air setup adds a flair to the traditional cycling class. It’s also rhythm-based, meaning you focus more on the beat of the music rather than metrics like calories and distance.
- Most rides have a themed playlist, from house to country music. Upcoming themes include Taylor Swift and her exes, Y2K throwbacks and Beyonce vs Jay-Z vs Rihanna.
- Dufresne is a former Flywheel instructor who worked to acquire Flywheel’s bikes and other assets from its old Charlotte studio to use for SkyCycle after Flywheel filed for bankruptcy in 2020.
- Morgan says she aims to give the Skycycle studio a community feel. “We’re all here to uplift each other — my members and my team, we’re all one unit.”
Morgan shared a few tips for first-time riders: Bring water, you’ll sweat — a lot. Wear leggings or biker shorts. Lastly, learn how to set up your bike beforehand in this reel (don’t worry, hands-on learners — you’ll get a tutorial in class, too).
My thought bubble: I took Friday’s 6:30am class taught by Carrie. It was Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris themed, and while I’m typically not a morning workout person, with the promise of a Summer sunrise and a dopamine-packed playlist, I was Enchanted.
- The class was beginner-friendly enough to catch on quick, but challenging enough to feel like I got a solid workout before the start of the workday.
- It’s social, relaxed and easily the type of activity I’d do again alongside a friend or with a group.
Pro tip: Afterward, pop downstairs to Not Just Coffee Dilworth for a post-class treat.
Pricing and memberships: SkyCycle offers drop-ins, class packs and membership. First-time riders get their first drop-in class for $12 or a month unlimited for $59.
- Memberships are four classes per month for $89 or unlimited for $139.
- Class packs are five for $120 or 10 for $220.
- Every Monday at 7am, SkyCycle hosts a community ride for $10.
What’s next: Morgan hopes to eventually open a sister cycling studio with a rave atmosphere. “I would really love for it to be underground,” she said.
Details: SkyCycle is located at 2230 Park Road.
- The studio is open Monday-Thursday from 6-9am and 5-7pm, Friday 6-9pm, Saturday 8am-noon and Sunday 9-11am.
- See upcoming classes and events on SkyCycle’s Instagram, and reserve your spot on their website.
Scroll for the point of view from my sunrise class: