Bonterra as we know it is closed forever.
State of play: The restaurant closed its doors in SouthPark on Saturday, July 29, to make room for a restaurant, from the same owners, called Phillips Bistro and Wine Bar.
- Phillips Bistro and Wine Bar will open in early September, Bonterra public relations manager David Francisco tells Axios.
Why it matters: The renowned restaurant, known for its fried lobster tails and expansive wine list, has historically been a place for “special occasions,” Francisco says. The owners’ new goal is to make it more accessible — by adding more shareable plates, making them more affordable and reducing the wine list by half.
- “We want to see everyone more often,” Francisco said.
Context: Bonterra has been a Charlotte staple for more than two decades. Although the restaurant has only been in its SouthPark location for less than a year, it got its start inside an old church in Dilworth, which is being transformed into a surf-and-turf restaurant called Leluia Hall.
Details: The menu is still being drafted, but Francisco assures me that ingredients will still be locally sourced and some Bonterra staples will remain, including the lobster bites and the filet.
- You can also expect more Italian pasta, made in-house by head chef Ryan Murphy. His strozzapreti pasta — made with sausage leeks, local shrimp and vermouth sauce — for example, was introduced to Bonterra’s spring menu and has become so popular they’re adding it to Phillips Bistro’s menu.
- Its wine menu will scale down from about 200 by-the-glass options to 100 and its cocktail menu will remain relatively similar to what it is now.
- The 3,600-square-foot restaurant, located at 6809 Phillips Place Court, is currently divided into three main spaces — the private dining room, a high-top area and a low-top area. They’re re-designing the space so it will look and feel more cohesive, Francisco says.
What’s next: When it opens, Phillips Bistro and Wine Bar will serve lunch and dinner. Its hours of operation will be similar to Bonterra’s current hours, with the possibility for a late-night food and cocktail program.