Digital Content Specialist
The Digital Content Specialist is a member of the Digital Strategy team, a part of the Communications, Marketing, and Public Relations department, and is responsible for working with internal clients across the college to ensure that digital content on our public website – https://www.cpcc.edu. – is WCAG and ADA compliant to all end users. This position serves as a generalist and also supports accessibility awareness and practice for content authors. This position will deliver training sessions for faculty and staff, conduct compliance audits, lead remediation and improvement efforts, and interface with and help guide the work of any vendors or contractors in these efforts.
The Digital Content Specialist works to ensure https://www.cpcc.edu complies with state and federal accessibility requirements. They are a part of a team who, collectively, are responsible for executing a rigorous plan of ongoing assessment, remediation, outreach, consulting, training, and support.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Conducts periodic reviews of https://www.cpcc.edu to ensure the website complies with current WCAG standards; collaborates with the Digital Strategy team to implement fixes as they are discovered
• Serves as the quality assurance tester to catch and address any website accessibility issues before new features or functionality on https://www.cpcc.edu are released to the general public
• Works through compliance issues identified by SiteImprove and other tools and develops a remediation plan; regularly monitors accessibility trends to improve our overall digital quality score
• Provides input on RFPs developed for future website redesign projects to ensure that the selected vendor fully understands ADA regulations and builds a scalable system that supports our WCAG compliance goals
• Reviews RFPs to ensure products needed and used by CMPR meet ADA and WCAG compliance standards for authenticated and end users
• Conducts web compliance training for content authors in collaboration with the Digital Strategy team
• Conducts accessibility/usability studies with stakeholders to ensure digital solutions meet their needs; when issues arise, participates on the remediation team and validates that the solution developed is sustainable and resolves the issue
• Converts non-compliant PDFs, Google, and Microsoft assets to accessible versions
• Reviews CMPR brand standards and collateral to ensure ADA compliance for issues related to color contrast, font size and weight, spacing, text alignment, etc.
• Supports CMPR video production with captions including audio descriptions and text transcripts
• Assesses digital publishing tools such as Calameo to determine the level of accessibility compliance; researches replacement tools if necessary
• Supports other Digital Strategy Team members as a generalist on digital projects as needed, including support for the college’s intranet site and search engine optimization (SEO) initiatives.
Minimum requirements and preferred qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and 2-3 years of experience working on digital accessibility and content projects. Must possess exceptional interpersonal, planning, and problem-solving skills, and a proven ability to train content authors on accessibility standards.
Experience in higher education or government with a marketing and communications background. Web Accessibility Specialist certification is desired.
Knowledge, skills, abilities, and worker characteristics:
• Demonstrated knowledge of current WCAG standards
• In-depth experience with Adobe Acrobat Pro, CommonLook, and/or PAC 2021 for document review and remediation
• Excellent communication skills and ability to provide compliance training to colleagues with various levels of familiarity with the topic
• Evidence of success in project management for complex projects with a demonstrated ability to initiate and implement multiple projects while adhering to deadlines and/or budgets
• Enjoys collaborating with colleagues across the college to improve Central Piedmont’s digital footprint
• Familiarity with cloud-based tools such as Google Workspace/Microsoft 365
• Working knowledge of AP Style
• Practical understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) principles and tools