Through a new out-of-school-time tutoring initiative with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Heart Math Tutoring has the opportunity to provide in-person, small group tutoring to 45-70 students for 3 hours per week (80+ hours/year) after school at Renaissance West STEAM Academy during the 2023/24 school year. We are looking for part-time tutors to help students in grades 3-5 reach grade-level proficiency through small group tutoring.
The Heart 3-5 program is different from but highly complementary to Heart Math Tutoring’s core model, which delivers 1:1 tutoring during the school day focused on K-2 standards. Both programs further HMT’s mission of ensuring all students develop a strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. When combined, the programs have the potential to ensure all students arrive at middle school ready for grade-level work, complete Math I by 8th grade, experience high school success, and have expanded post-secondary and career options. The program is fully funded during the 2023/24 school year and will leverage results and learnings from the first two years to continue thereafter.
Tutors will be responsible for working with students in groups of three throughout the school year on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Tutors will commit to working six hours each week, inclusive of three hours of direct tutoring, one hour of student-facing relationship building at snack period, and two hours of preparation, including documenting student progress and attendance, preparing lessons, and engaging in coaching conversations with Heart 3-5 Leadership. Tutors will work from 3:15 pm- 5:15 pm Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Under the direction of the Heart 3-5 Leadership, tutors will be responsible for:
• Preparing lessons based on students’ needs using a blend of intervention materials (Kathy Richardson Developing Number Concepts and Bridges Interventions) and aligned grade level content work (Envision curriculum and CMS district-created resources)
• Building meaningful relationships with students
• Monitoring student progress throughout each lesson
• Documenting student progress and attendance
• Engaging in select family engagement activities
• Employing best practice tutoring, math support, and culturally competent instruction
Desired skills and background:
A person who will be successful in the tutoring role will likely have all or most of the skills/background below
• Interest in math education and a strong understanding of Grades 3-5 Math content
• Passionate about youth development and addressing education inequity in underserved communities
• Committed to continuous learning and growth, have a feedback orientation, and seek professional development
• Possess the mindsets, cultural proficiencies, and skills to build effective, caring relationships with students
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, computer skills, and time management skills
This is an hourly, part-time paid position. Tutors will be paid $23 an hour. Tutors are expected to work 6 hours a week for 28 weeks with 3 weeks of paid training hours (36 hours).
Interviews and decisions will be made starting in July 2023. Training will begin the week of September 4th with prework to be completed prior to training. Tutoring will begin in October.
Commitment to Diversity: We believe that our differences make our team stronger, and we also know that our students benefit from working with adults from all backgrounds. The team at Heart Math Tutoring is specifically committed to supporting racial equity, both internally and externally, and is in the midst of several trainings and initiatives focused on supporting an inclusive work environment and providing culturally competent support to our students, >90% of whom are people of color. As an equal opportunity employer, Heart Math Tutoring is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Visit www.heartmathtutoring.org for more information.