Administrative Assistant & Office Manager
Woodlawn School is seeking an experienced Office Manager and Administrative Assistant for the 2023-2024 school year. The ideal candidate has experience working in an independent school as an administrative assistant, with excellent customer service skills, or office management in a non-profit or education setting, and has a minimum of three years experience as an administrative assistant.
• A curious and creative administrator excited to integrate intellect, heart, and imagination in a school?
• A compassionate and collaborative administrator and role model for students?
• An enthusiastic community member eager to collaborate and build relationships?
• A person that loves customer service?
We seek someone who enjoys partnering with staff, is passionate, and committed to meeting the needs of students and staff in an independent project-based learning environment. The ideal candidate demonstrates a commitment to advancing our mission to produce independent, lifelong learners who are responsible, contributing members of a diverse global society; providing the foundation for critical thinking through hands on learning that teaches skills to find opportunities in challenges leading individuals to become well-rounded, critical thinkers that are culturally competent, and empowered to inquire, investigate, innovate and positively impact their communities. Likewise, we seek candidates committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion with the belief that a learning environment that is inclusive and diverse promotes a deeper understanding of varying points of view, and will cultivate innovation, creativity, and progressive change.
• Provide direct administrative support to the school leadership team
• General office duties include reception, phone and email coverage, appointment scheduling, data entry, document creation, filing, photocopying, etc.
• Create and maintain annual organizational documents including class lists and school directory
• Collect annual school forms, including Department of Health requirements
• Track student absences in student management database (Blackbaud)
• Manage school merchandise orders
• Prepare and maintain student and staff records
• Management of the administrative building interior appearance (making sure reception, hallways and kitchen are guest ready)
• Coordinate school events including scheduling, set-up and arranging building support
• Manage office and classroom supply orders
• Assist teachers with beginning and end of year logistical needs
• Track tuition collection and philanthropic donations
• Assist with various special projects
• Provides general administrative and organizational support to Head of School and Director of Finance
• Understands yearly school calendar and cycle of events to proactively assist in managing project timelines and scheduling times for the Head of School, Director of Development, and Director of Enrollment Management to work on upcoming events, academic programming, projects, and communications
• Assists the Director of Finance with monthly credit card reconciliation
• Assists with coordinating Board meeting and retreat logistics, including room reservations, ordering food, organizing supplies, coordinating event set up and tear down, and interfacing with vendors
• Assists administration with curriculum subscriptions and orders
• Under minimal supervision, provides administrative assistance to the Head of School and Director of
• Finance, coordinates daily and yearly operations, supports communications, and provides support to school leadership.
• Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining an open dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
• Actively and positively participates in the full life of the school
• Vigorously engages in professional development; demonstrates a commitment to life-long learning by enhancing their skills, and embracing innovative technologies and creative thinking
• Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
• Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials, and facilities
• Provides daily support for the main desk, including but not limited to, answering inquiries, coordinating with parents, managing the school’s student database (Blackbaud)
• Manages data collection and completes compliance forms for school related databases and certificates, private school certification, and other certifications as needed
• Manages building and processing back to school forms
• Oversees the management of the student database (Blackbaud)
• Supports human resource logistics, including posting open positions on the school website, NWAIS, NAIS, and other job posting websites, interview coordination, and onboarding and offboarding support
• Provides backup for communications needs, including sending push pages and editing communications
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Head of School
We seek a candidate who has:
• Enthusiasm for and a commitment to the inclusive mission of Woodlawn School
• Enjoys spending time engaging with children and educators
• A high level of energy and ability to work on many tasks/projects in a fast-paced environment
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Excellent interpersonal, phone, and writing skills
• Ability to manage competing demands from various individuals
• Disciplined and reliable
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal with both children and adults
• Willingness to stretch and develop their skills
• Can-do, positive attitude
• Flexible thinker
• Role model for the community
• Strong colleague and collaborator
• Self-starter who enjoys a challenge and is invested in creating exceptional work
• Integrity, excellent interpersonal skills, along with strong presentation, writing, and organizational skills; must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively
• Follows through and closes the loop
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work collegially with all constituencies
• Responsiveness to requests for information and support
• Sense of humor and patience are always appreciated
• Associates degree from an accredited college or university
• Proficiency in Mac applications, Google Drive, and Gmail; ability to master common automated systems for record-keeping, and confidently learn new technology
• Working knowledge of Blackbaud and WordPress is helpful but not required
• Prior independent school experience is a plus
• Experience working in an independent school preferred