Director, Individual Giving
We are seeking a seasoned and highly strategic fundraiser to lead our individual giving initiatives. The Director of Individual Giving will take a leadership role in DP’s Advancement Team (currently 16 FT/1 PT) to grow relationships with individual donors – from cultivation to stewardship – while leveraging our mission and brand to sustain and increase funding from this constituency. This person will work interdepartmentally across DP to achieve our annual and long-range individual giving goals, effecting a significant impact at a beloved and thriving cultural institution.
Duties will include performing direct one-on-one individual solicitations for annual operations of $1,500 – $25,000, implementing strategies for raising annual funds in alignment with DP’’s strategic plan, including developing persuasive appeals and acquisition materials, conceiving of impactful donor engagement events, managing a stewardship program and gift acknowledgement process, and generating research, data reports, and strategy briefings. Opportunities for growth include recruiting and engaging a new position, the Manager, Individual Giving, who in turn will manage annual fund donors $1,499 and below, with the potential for further growing and building the Individual Giving team; building the architecture for DP’s first major gifts program; hands-on experience in the private phase of a capital campaign moving towards a public announcement.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Lead individual giving program for the organization at-large as well as each Museum Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place Kids Huntersville, Discovery Place Kids Rockingham
• In consultation with the Senior Director of Development, set, monitor, and meet annual dollar and number goals for individual giving
• Manage the annual fund leadership donor portfolio (the Prism Society $1,500 – $50,000) serving as the chief liaison to these donors; develop strategies and execute on tactics to increase support; identify potential members to cultivate and solicit
• Conceive of and execute high-end donor events that will increase engagement, motivate increased giving and ensure fulfillment of donor benefits (Director of Events will assist in execution of these events.)
• Institute methodologies for building the donor pipeline within the individual giving donor team; train staff to identify and cultivate current members who are potential leadership donors
• Engage volunteers in the cultivation and stewardship of prospects and donors
• Manage donor stewardship including the accurate and proper recognition of donors on signage, the website, and in publications
• Develop the strategy and oversee the implementation of annual fundraising drives (targeted at gifts $1,000 and under)
• Ensure accurate donor records are maintained to generate in-depth analysis and monthly/weekly reports
• Draft donor strategy briefings with research and accurate data reports for Sr Director of Development, CAO, CEO, and Board.
• Write individual donor spotlight stories for website, newsletters, and annual report
• Represent Discovery Place at institutional and community events
• Participate in staff meetings and other vital administrative, promotional, and organization-related meetings and activities
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Development and Chief Advancement Officer