Director of Development and Engagement
Celebrating its 45th year, Leadership Charlotte seeks a Development and Engagement Director to support its next chapter. This organization serves as an invitation to participants to engage with our city in more meaningful ways. The Development and Engagement Director will be tasked with ensuring that alumni continue to receive that invitation in ways that are relevant to them. Whether it be through unique programs, social connections, or philanthropic support, the Development and Engagement Director provides pathways for alumni to continue fostering connection and impact in our community. As the organization prepares for growth of its mission, this role is a unique opportunity for a nonprofit professional to leave a lasting impact through one of Charlotte’s premiere alumni networks.
Founded in 1978, Leadership Charlotte is focused on building Charlotte community leaders through inclusive leadership development. There are 2,000 alumni that participated in the Leadership Charlotte Class and approximately 950+ community members that have participated in ENCOUNTER Charlotte.
For additional information, please visit the Leadership Charlotte website at www.leadershipcharlotte.org.
Reports and relationships:
This key position will report directly to the Executive Director. The Development and Engagement Director will have oversight of volunteers supporting the core areas of alumni engagement and donor development. They will be responsible for managing all outsourcing contracts and relationships necessary to execute development strategy.
The Development and Engagement Director will establish oversight and direction for alumni engagement, donor development, and communication strategies of Leadership Charlotte.
Specific responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain and enhance opportunities for Leadership Charlotte alumni to remain connected to the mission and fellow alumni including events and programs and other offerings
• Plan, develop, evaluate, coordinate, and manage a comprehensive, donor-centered development strategy including major gifts and annual appeal campaigns
• Maintain a major gifts portfolio in coordination with Executive Director, Board, and other volunteers
• Oversee the organization’s moves management strategy and infrastructure; maintain effective use of the organization’s donor database
• Support planning and coordinating alumni events, and development and implementation of new alumni programming in coordination with Board and volunteer committees
• Develop and lead an effective, engaged volunteer structure to support alumni engagement and donor development initiatives; coordinate in-house volunteer opportunities for alumni, including Selection Committee, Marketing Committee, and Encounter
• Communicate Leadership Charlotte’s mission, impact, and opportunities; maintain effective, successful communication channels for our alumni via, but not limited to; website, social media, and other digital platforms
• Evaluate potential technology and third-party solutions, perform appropriate cost-benefit analysis, and recommend solutions that maximize effectiveness and minimize costs associated with development and communications strategies
• Support Leadership Charlotte’s programs and events; duties include but are not limited to recruiting and managing communication with participants and assisting in the coordination of events and program logistics
• Successful experience in fundraising campaigns
• Desire and ability to work and establish rapport with a wide spectrum of people; experience in relationship management including cultivation and stewardship
• Ability to work in a small team environment
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
• Detail oriented with demonstrated follow-up and follow-through to ensure completion of goals and objectives
• Work independently and collaboratively towards team objectives
• Plan and organize events
• Desire and ability to interact with community members and local organizations
• Excellent communication (verbal, written) skills
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) – typing, mail merge, spreadsheet functionality, specifically on a PC platform, as well as CRM software
• Balance multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in experience and education
• Candidates must have the physical ability to: transport, set up, and break down materials for functions on- and off-site; driver’s license, insurance, and have access to their own vehicle
• Available to work occasionally outside of regular business hours
• Experience working in nonprofit or membership organizations preferred
• Experience managing volunteers preferred
• Experience in and high comfort with technology – including WordPress, social media platforms, Salesforce, and fundraising platforms preferred
Compensation will be commensurate with experience; a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package including healthcare stipend, retirement plan and generous vacation time, sick and holiday paid leave.