The Music Yard in South End, a music venue known for its EDM concerts and party atmosphere, has launched a new wellness project called MOVE.
The open-air venue has transformed into a part-time fitness space for group workout classes.
Why it matters: Working out is becoming an increasingly social activity — nearly 25% of people nationwide said they focus on their wellness to stay connected with others, Axios has reported.
[Go deeper: Working out is the new group hang]
- Charlotte is no exception to this trend. From brewery run clubs to rooftop yoga classes, you can find a way to socialize and exercise any day of the week.
Yes, and: MOVE is a new concept for The Music Yard, which is typically a venue for house music and themed events, like the popular Emo Night.
Context: Lanna Coviello, the Yard’s fitness director, launched MOVE in March. Coviello, who has a background in fitness, also regularly helps with weekend shows at the Yard.
- “On the weekends, [The Music Yard] is concerts and more of a party environment, and now during the week, it’s for yoga and wellness,” Coviello said. “It’s kind of the best of both worlds.”
What to expect: A rotation of outdoor workout classes, from a sunset vinyasa flow to dance cardio, taught by instructors from fitness studios around Charlotte, such as The Coterie, Studio Fire and Hive Fitness. Classes run every night Monday through Wednesday, and sometimes on Thursday.
- Coviello releases the schedule two weeks at a time — you can book classes and check the full schedule here.
- Most classes are capped at around 35 people, so it’s best to secure your spot in advance.
You’ll need to bring your own mat and water bottle. Water and energy drinks like yerba mate are provided.
Pricing: Classes are $15 per person.
- You can also get two tickets for $25 through their friend pack option.
- This full body workout was challenging and upbeat. It also had a solid playlist (which is required for a workout class at a music venue, I’d argue).
- I’d treat it like you would a hot yoga class — bring lots of water, a towel, and be prepared to sweat.
What’s next: MOVE will run through the fall, and Coviello says there are a few upcoming events in the works. “We’re going to be implementing more things on the wellness side,” said Coviello, adding that a wellness vendor market is one of the next ideas on the list.
Details: The Music Yard is located at 2433 South Blvd.
- You can find all upcoming events at The Music Yard, including MOVE classes, here.