About 40 miles south of Uptown, there’s a sprawling farm where you can go pond fishing, pet farm animals, forage for mushrooms and learn how to prepare them in a meal.
You may not have known that fast-growing Charlotte is less than an hour away from North Corner Haven, which boasts 625 acres of land.
Why it matters: Sometimes you just need to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. North Corner Haven has several activities for adults and families to enjoy the outdoors without having to travel too far.
“There’s something about getting on a gravel road, having a good meal and having the birds be the soundtrack,” said Catherine Dooley, whose family owns the farm.
Context: The Dooley family has owned the land, located at 3454 Activity Road, in Lancaster, S.C., since 1972. In 2016, it started operating as a farm, and in 2019 the family opened it up as a venue for weddings, corporate retreats and other outdoor experiences.
Here are eight things to do on the farm.
Learn how to shoot a gun.
Groups of 12-20 people can get together to shoot sporting clays in a safe environment.
Details: The “Sporting Clays Escape” package includes two hours of shooting with an instructor, protective gear, a Beretta Silver Pigeon gun rental, ammo and clays, lunch and refreshments.
- Pricing starts at $195 per person.
- There are seven different clay-throwing machines with 250 clay plates in each, offering different combinations for varying skill levels.
Attend a cooking class.
Chef’s Joy cooking demonstrations change seasonally but always include ingredients picked directly from the farm.
Details: Guests will get a hands-on cooking demonstration from the farm’s executive chef, Joy Turner.
- Pricing varies per meal between $150-$195 per person.
- After the cooking demonstration, you’ll enjoy your meal on the farmhouse porch.
Go pond fishing.
Drop a line in one of two ponds on the property and bring a snack and blanket for a picnic.
Details: Fish on your own, or take fly casting lessons from an instructor.
- Fly rods, spin rods, bait and tackle are included.
- Prices start at $75 per person for two hours and $125 for fly fishing.
Sip and stroll with some wine.
Explore gardens filled with edible flowers, peach trees and muscadine while you sip wine.
Details: A wine expert will talk to you about the different types of wine you’re drinking during this 90-minute experience.
- Tickets cost $200-$225 per person and include three to four different selections.
Go on a scavenger hunt.
There are plenty of wild animals to see on the farm, including chickens, pigs and goats.
Details: A series of riddles and challenges will have you spread across the farm, competing with other teams.
- This 60-minute game is $75 per person.
Yoga flow and south bath.
A yoga instructor will guide you through seated yoga poses as you listen to crystal singing bowls, frame drums and the didgeridoo.
Details: In addition to the 60-minute yoga flow, other wellness opportunities include mindfulness meditations, breath work, ice baths and forest bathing for an additional fee.
- Prices range between $75-$125 per person.
Host a corporate retreat.
All of the above-mentioned activities are available “à la carte” Monday through Friday. Meaning, you can pick and choose an adventure or two to enjoy with your team.
- Pricing can be found here.
Host a wedding.
The onsite barn fits about 150 people for dinner and dancing and upwards of 200 people for a cocktail reception. Groups as large as 300 can fit in the venue with additional tenting on the 7,000-square-foot lawn.
Details: Wedding rates range between $2,500 and $15,000.
- The “Cherished” Micro Wedding Packages offer an inclusive experience for 2-50 guests ranging from $2,500 – $15,000. Included in the price is the ceremony space, florals, photography and cocktail reception with the opportunity to extend your time for dinner or dancing.
- The Bespoke Wedding Packages offer an á la carte option for up to 300 guests and range from $9,500 – $13,000. This package offers access to the venue and surrounding grounds for up to 14 hours, including getting-ready suites, tables and chairs, and concierge venue management.