This story is proudly presented by Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority – our partner in exploring the Queen City. Snag some itinerary inspiration for exploring and supporting Charlotte’s local businesses here.
One thing every Charlottean should try at least once: “I’m obviously a little biased, but I’d say going to see a Charlotte Ballet performance. I also love heading to Boone and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. And then you have to get a drink at Thirsty Beaver. That’s a must!”
What makes Charlotte special: “I’ve lived here for seven years and it’s been really awesome to see how much Charlotte has grown. I moved from Manhattan and I grew up in a really small town in New Jersey. I feel like Charlotte is a really good middle ground. There’s always something happening, but it’s not too fast-paced. It feels like home to me.”
Here’s Shaina’s perfect weekend itinerary for entertaining out-of-town friends or family.
Friday: Al Mike’s and drinks
We’d start with dinner at Alexander Michael’s in Fourth Ward.
- Their “What It Is,” which is a cajun pasta, is just so good.
- After that, we’d go to Caroline’s Oyster Bar in the J.W. Marriot.
- We love their oysters, and their signature old fashioned is so good that my fiancé and I bought the bitters that they use so we can recreate the drink at home.
Saturday: Coffee, comedy and cocktails
Undercurrent Coffee in Plaza Midwood is my favorite.
- I always get their vanilla latte and a breakfast sandwich.
- They have a great patio, so we’d sit outside and do some people-watching.
Grabbing some greenery: Next, we’d head to Oakdale Greenhouse.
- I love plants, and probably 95% of the plants in our house came from there.
- It’s a great place to shop around.
Time for some laughs: After that, we’d do The Funny Bus.
- That’s my mom’s favorite thing to do when she visits, and anytime she brings a new family member she’s like, “We have to do it!”
- It’s a great way to learn some history and see new places.
- The bus always stops at Rhino Market, so we’d have their club (sandwich) for lunch.
NoDa for dinner and drinks: For dinner, we’d head to Haberdish.
- We always get the fried chicken and the house pickles.
- We also love their purple cabbage and the banana pudding.
- Their Barrel-Aged Black Manhattan is excellent.
- My fiancé gets the Spring Fever, which is a tequila-based drink.
- After dinner we’d go to Idlewild or their sister spot Fairweather.
- Fairweather’s Manhattan is made with chai and vanilla, which I love.
A Sunday send-off
On our last day, we’d head to Workman’s Friend.
- I used to live right near there, so it’s always been a staple for me.
- Their Working Man’s burger is great.
- You have to get the chips — basically a massive bag of french fries.
This story is proudly presented by Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. The editorial selection is not influenced or endorsed by this sponsor.