Technical Business Writer
This position will also provide writing support to the Institute’s American Growth Project initiative, and any partnerships derived from that initiative. The American Growth Project provides real-time economic data, analysis, and forecasting for towns, cities, and counties across the country. The Technical Business Writer will work closely with the Research Services team to produce reports, city profiles, case studies, and other written materials that showcase the work of the American Growth Project.
This position requires proficient data literacy skills, with the ability to interpret basic statistical models used in economic and business research and translate them into actionable written content accessible to a wide variety of audiences.
This position will report to the Director of Research Services, however, this position will work closely with a cross-functional team from both External Affairs and Research Services to develop and promote content to our target audiences. The Technical Business Writer will also cultivate relationships with institute staff, its affiliated centers, and UNC faculty to identify and translate academic business research.
Minimum education and experience requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Qualifications, competencies, and experience:
• This job requires strong written and verbal communication skills. This position must be comfortable reading, understanding, and translating academic business research
• Must be team-oriented, with the ability to work independently
• At least three years of related training or experience preferred; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Previous experience as a business writer/reporter for a news agency and/or association or trade publication would be beneficial but is not required
• Familiarity with AP writing style is a plus
• Strong data literacy skills, with the ability to interpret basic statistical models used in economic and business research. Both proficiency in Excel and other statistical software (e.g. Stata) a plus. Familiarity in working with data visualizations and infographics, particularly with business and economic data, is also a plus
• Previous project management experience is a plus, with the ability to consistently meet deadlines.