Special Events Assistant
Performs responsible professional work involving planning, organizing, promoting and delivering special events and other programs; does related work as required involving a variety of activities related to the supervision of programs, special events and maintenance of department facilities (parks and buildings) and grounds. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Special Events Coordinator within the Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resource Department.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
• Provide excellent customer service
• Provide a safe environment for all participants
• Enforce Town of Matthews and P&R departmental rules and regulations
• Coordinate, schedule, implement, and lead town-sponsored special events and programs
• Prepare marketing materials and promote programs/events through multiple outlets
• Assist with oversight of program/event staff and volunteers
• Monitor activities and operations inside and outside of recreation facilities
• Open and close recreation facilities as needed
• Evaluate programs/events (attendee surveys, etc.); assist with data reporting
• Maintain an inventory of equipment and supplies; ensure proper maintenance and storage
• Perform a variety of clerical duties including preparing and maintaining files and reports
• Perform related tasks as required
• Some knowledge of the coordinating, planning, and executing special events
• The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with town and community officials, employees, volunteer groups, community leaders, and the general public
• Effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks concurrently, ability to efficiently and effectively manage time and other resources; ability to prepare and maintain records; proficiency in use of various computer software products such as Microsoft Office products, Gmail, and Google Drive
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 50 pounds amount of force frequently; and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, operate a computer terminal, utilize measuring devices, operate a motor vehicle, and inspect work of others
• High school diploma and some college-level coursework related to coordinating, planning, and executing special events or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Hiring Range: $40,560 – $51,714
• Salary Range: $40,560 – $62,686
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Possession of a valid driver’s license
• Availability to work flexible hours including required weekend work
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Matthews provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in all terms and conditions of employment.
The Town of Matthews is an at-will employer.