Director of National Partnerships
Our nation and children are missing out on significant potential when just 35% of fourth graders in the U.S. meet grade level expectations in math (2022 NAEP). Tutoring has been proven to have significant, positive effects on student outcomes in recent, rigorous studies, but few programs exist focused on elementary math. Heart Math Tutoring (“HMT” or “Heart”) is a nonprofit based in Charlotte, NC with a mission of ensuring all elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. HMT gives young students successful experiences in math through 1:1 tutoring during the school day, delivered by supervised volunteers. Since 2013, Heart Math Tutoring has grown to support 1,200+ students across 28 schools in Charlotte, NC and Charleston, SC while maintaining high-quality student outcomes. Read more at www.heartmathtutoring.org.
The Director of National Partnerships (DNP) will lead HMT’s efforts to share its program with other cities. This includes recruiting and supporting new regions, further developing Heart’s growth strategy and expansion team, and helping to secure financial resources to implement the strategy. Near-term (1-2 years), HMT is focused on sustainably supporting a high-quality, growing program in Charleston, SC and Winston-Salem, NC with goals of gaining experience and establishing initial proof of concept that HMT is effective in multiple geographies outside of Charlotte. Leveraging success in these two initial expansion sites, HMT would like to develop a pipeline of additional cities (whether through inbound demand or proactive outreach) and be positioned to support 7-9 cities within the next five years. Over time, we envision HMT to have a national presence working to ensure thousands more students build the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success.
Expansion strategy –
• Own HMT’s national expansion strategic plan, collaborating with HMT senior leaders and Board of Directors to capture learnings and adjust plans, reassessing and updating HMT’s strategy over time. Manage the Board Geography Strategy Committee and financial models for expansion in collaboration with the CEO
• Recruit and maintain a pipeline of new regions and evaluate viability to recommend go/no-go
• Build documentation (playbooks/handbooks/manuals/checklists) to support national and regional teams
• Evaluate timing and need for shared services across regions (training, Salesforce, marketing) vs. locally concentrated work (local staff culture-building, community engagement) and collaborate with HMT staff to implement
• Lead the national expansion team, recommending resources and headcount needed for implementing the strategic plan. In 2023/24, manage a full-time Manager position
• Manage the national expansion budget. Support fund development for national expansion
Oversee operations in regions outside of Charlotte –
• In initial years of a new region’s operations, build and manage a regional staff team and advisory board to be successful with program implementation, which includes school-based programming as well as volunteer recruitment, school recruitment, communications in the region, and initial fund development efforts
• As a region matures (2-3 years), hire and oversee a local Executive Director who manages the regional advisory board, staff, and development efforts
• Strategically leverage Charlotte/National staff and systems for efficiency and quality (e.g., Director of Program Training, Salesforce, Bloomerang, communications templates)
• Share feedback with Charlotte team on program implementation learnings and innovations
Resource development in local regions –
• Identify, recruit, and develop local volunteer champions including establishing and coordinating founding Steering Committees and local Advisory Boards. Ensure the group is effective in supporting local operations, especially focusing on volunteer recruitment, fund development, and visibility in the community
• Partner with HMT fund development staff to secure financial resources in new regions, developing relationships and making asks that lead to philanthropic support of Heart Math Tutoring’s program. Strategically leverage senior HMT leaders, HMT shared services (grantwriting, database), and HMT’s Board of Directors to support local fund development
Experience and background:
The ideal candidate exhibits Heart Math Tutoring’s core values – student centered, precision and professionalism, growth mindset, gratitude, and civic engagement. Additionally, the ideal candidate demonstrates:
• Commitment and passion for improving education for all young people, with the belief that a strong foundation in math is critical to a person’s success and opportunities and that all students can learn math and ultimately perform at or above grade level
• Strategic thinking, creativity, and resourcefulness
• Planning and administration skills including written and verbal communication to create and implement project plans. Operates with a high level of organization and follow-through
• Proven success in relationship-management roles, including the ability to build relationships across lines of diversity
• Leadership and collaboration skills
• Experience hiring and coaching staff
• Commitment to racial equity and social justice, recognizing the role of race, income, age, immigration status, and other identities in shaping educational disparities and the importance of continuous learning, reflection, and humility
• Is excited by both strategic and on-the-ground work. Interested in working in an entrepreneurial environment, which requires planning and strategy, in addition to flexibility
• Ability and willingness to learn HMT’s model in detail (and/or strong existing institutional knowledge)
This position reports to HMT’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The role is ideally based in North or South Carolina and is anticipated to require travel to local regions at least monthly (costs covered by HMT).
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive work environment and supporting racial equity. We offer competitive benefits and salary and anticipate this position’s starting salary to be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.