Museum Experience Facilitator II – FT/Temporary
One of the leading hands-on science museums in the nation, Discovery Place brings science, nature, and design together to create transformative experiences that enable the community to understand, enjoy, and apply science to their lives. Through a network of four museums, Discovery Place Science in Uptown, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place Kids Huntersville and Discovery Place Kids Rockingham, plus virtual and in-person learning experiences outside of our Museums, Discovery Place is a leader in STEM education. Discovery Place serves over 750,000 people a year, shaping a future where people embrace science to create opportunities, build hope, solve problems, and bring positive change for our world.
This role will support traveling blockbuster exhibit operations, including facilitating guest and customer experiences on the museum floor, paid programs such as lab activations and classes, Tier I and II shows, other educational activities, and perform admissions-related operations.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Facilitate programs, presentations, demonstrations, and lead educational activities in a variety of settings
• Facilitate Tier I and II public shows, programs, and activities
• Handle a variety of animals, including types classified by Living Collections as Tier I, II, and III
• Engage museum visitors using informal educational approaches, including pre-designed and impromptu activities
• Teach camps for grades Pre-K to 8th
• Adapt content and complexity to ages and interests of children and their families
• Select and assemble materials to be used in daily demonstrations and programming
• Conduct inventory and purchases departmental supplies as requested
• Lead special event days
• Prototype experiences upon request
• Teach Early Childhood and/or Lab classes for visiting schools, as booked
• Display a high level of enthusiasm, energy, and positive behavior to museum guests
• Evaluate success of experiences through feedback provided by guests
Work as a front-line customer service representative at the admissions desk
• Greet guests as they enter the museum
• Check in guests and sell retail items through the point-of-sale systems at the front desk
• Accurately perform admissions transactions/reporting and follow cash handling procedures
• Conduct group orientations
• Inform guests of daily and special programming, learning opportunities, membership, and special events
• Provide input to management on feedback and information from customers
• Monitor inventory levels of consumables at the front desk and within the museum and notify management of needs when apparent
• Process membership sales
Monitor the museum exhibits, Blockbuster exhibitions, activities, and environment to ensure safety
• Perform exhibit checks and either correct problems or report them to management
• Enforce safety and other policies/procedures within the museum
• Assist in emergency response procedures
• Perform daily housekeeping routines for museum activities and exhibits
• Provide detailed cleaning, sanitization, and organization of exhibits and areas during down time
• Maintain a clean and orderly work environment.
Demonstrate behavior consistent with the organizational culture
• Continually maintain an outwardly positive demeanor toward coworkers and visitors
• Maintain a team-oriented approach and can-do attitude
• Assist other team members and departments in their responsibilities when help is needed
• Display flexibility in an ever-changing environment
• Assist in training and share business-related knowledge with fellow employees
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in science or education field, two years related museum or teaching experience/training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed herein are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, and seek continual improvement in each area:
• Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and persuasively in all situations; Adapts language and response to audience (e.g., children, adults, etc.); Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
• Cost Conscious – Conserves organizational resources.
• Adaptability – Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Initiative – Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
• Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Noise Level – The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Climate Must be able to work outdoors for moderate amounts of time.
Highly Occupied Space Must be able to work in extremely crowded spaces with many people (number of guests allowed in a museum or space may vary based on dynamic circumstances related to health in the community such as pandemics or other similar situations).
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We create positive change in our communities through our four core values: (1) science leads us, (2) equity drives us, (3) integrity guides us, and (4) innovation energizes us. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.