Two people are dead after a five-alarm fire broke out at a construction site in SouthPark on Thursday.
Over 90 firefighters took to the scene Thursday, rescuing 15 construction workers and risking their lives as they encountered two “mayday” calls when a firefighter is trapped.
- The fire destroyed the under-construction apartment building and closed nearby businesses due to smoke and road closures.
- The cause of the fire was ruled accidental, according to Charlotte Fire Friday.
- Read more on the latest.
After a crisis, everyone looks for ways to help. Here’s a few ideas:
Show appreciation to Charlotte Fire
While you don’t need to bring anything to the scene for the firefighters (they’re covered), they’re never going to turn away a gesture of thanks at their local firehouse, CFD tells Axios.
- “Anytime a citizen wants to show appreciation to their local fire station, the local firehouse, they can stop by anytime,” CFD Captain Jackie Gilmore tells Axios. “If they want to drop off goodies, snacks or drinks, the firefighters are very appreciative of that.
- “That’s not something they have to do, but I know the community loves to show their appreciation. We’re not going to turn the public away.”
Support Charlotte Fire programs
Every year, the Charlotte Fire Department hosts free summer camps for local girls and boys to empower and teach them about firefighting. According to the department’s Instagram:
- Camp Ignite is designed for high school girls interested in firefighting and teaches them to follow their dreams. “Campers train alongside female firefighters as we break down barriers and stereotypes in a male-dominated career.” Donate here.
- Camp Hornet’s Nest is designed for high school boys who are interested in a career in firefighting. “The program teaches teamwork, responsibility, and leadership.” Donate here.
Have a beer
Protagonist Beer is temporarily renaming its flagship beer “Queen Charlotte” to “The 43” in honor of the 43 fire stations in Charlotte. $1 of every beer will be donated to Charlotte Fire this weekend.
- The LoSo brewery will also give free beer and pizza to any fire fighter that comes in.
- More details via Instagram.
This story will be updated as more information is released about how to help. If you see a way to help that’s not already listed here, please email us at [email protected].