Maintenance Worker – Landscape
Hiring Range (based on experience): $42,588 – $54,300
Salary Range: $42,588 – $66,011
Responsible for performing routine work in the maintenance, landscape, and care of Town grounds, rights-of-way, and related Town property for the Public Works department.
(The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the class.)
• Works as a member of a grounds maintenance crew responsible for maintaining assigned Town grounds by cutting grass, trimming and edging, mulching, weeding, leaf removal and blowing, and other landscape and grounds maintenance activities
• Operates a variety of hand tools and power equipment including, but not limited to, riding and push mowers, hedge trimmers, loppers, weed eaters, blowers, chain saws, pole saws, shovels, rakes, stump grinders, and other light equipment for landscaping and tree maintenance activities
• Performs all aspects of tree and shrub maintenance including hedge and tree trimming; tree removal; pruning; removing fallen limbs and trash; and raking leaves
• Plants shrubbery, flowers, and grass; waters, weeds, fertilizes, applies pesticides and herbicides, and mulches plants
• Shovels and removes snow and ice; spreads sand over icy sidewalks and walkways
• Picks up trash in common areas, greenways, parking lots, and rights-of-way; cleans culverts and other drainage structures; blows and sweeps sidewalks, gutters, and streets
• Loads and unloads mulch, dirt, stone, timber, and heavy mechanical equipment
• Operates trucks and small motorized equipment safely and efficiently
• Performs equipment inspection to ensure proper operation; ensures cleanliness and proper storage of tools and equipment after use
• Assists other department employees in performing a variety of custodial, construction, and maintenance work
• Performs related duties as required
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
(The knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list)
• Considerable knowledge of the operation of hand and power landscaping equipment
• General knowledge of the tools, equipment, and materials used in grounds maintenance
• General knowledge of landscape maintenance procedures
• Working knowledge of the hazards of the work and related safety precautions
• Skill in the operation of assigned equipment
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
• Ability to use hand tools
• Ability to operate light and medium machinery and equipment and perform simple maintenance and repairs
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Must possess the visual acuity and hands/finger dexterity to operate trucks and other mechanical equipment such as the mowers and chain saws in a safe manner and to inspect work quality
Must be conscious of safety methods to avoid injury to others and themselves; the employee is subject to hazards in grounds maintenance work including working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as noise, moving mechanical parts, chemicals, dust, atmospheric conditions, and oils. Duties may expose the employee to human body fluids; thus, the work is subject to OSHA requirements on blood-borne pathogens.
Education and experience requirements:
Graduation from high school and experience in grounds maintenance work preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificate and license requirements:
Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
Necessary special requirements:
If selected for this position, the candidate is required to undergo a criminal background check, motor vehicle record check, drug screen, and pre-employment medical evaluation to the satisfaction of the employer.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Town of Matthews provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in all terms and conditions of employment.