Sip City Market & Bottle Shop is opening Saturday in a long-vacant building along Central Avenue, between Two Scoops Creamery and Seventh Sin Tattoo Company.
Why it matters: The business shines a spotlight on local and regional products. It’s the newest family- and dog-friendly hang-out spot in the growing Plaza Midwood-Elizabeth area.
- It’s housed in a 1937 building that’s been vacant since at least 2015. The Nichols Company purchased the property in 2022 and renovated the space, Queen City Nerve reported.
What to expect: “Anything related to sipping a drink,” owner Yazan Humaideh tells me, from draft beers to cocktail mixers. Customers can stop in for a draft beer or wine by the glass. Three taps are dedicated to Lower Left Brewing Co., one of the owner’s favorite spots, while the other three are rotating.
- You’ll also find carefully selected regional and local wines, plus gifting options.
- Fridges around the shop keep craft beers, kombuchas, sodas, energy drinks and other specialty beverages chill.
- Shoppers can browse charcuterie boards, home decor, customizable mugs and tumblers, party supplies, Charlotte-themed apparel and plants by Grounded Plant Services.
What’s more: Sip City also sells gourmet foods like cheeses and bakery items.
We tried: The Lemontation, a sour from Lower Left Brewing Co.
- Among the desserts, the owner’s mother, a Syrian woman, has baked a pistachio puff pastry that’s bound to be a hit.
Zoom in: Humaideh moved to the U.S. from Syria in 2010 when he was 16 — just before the Syrian civil war started. He climbed the corporate ladder, starting as a bag boy at a grocery store, then as a food and beverage coordinator for Target.
- In his prior roles, also at Harris Teeter and Publix, he says he gained an understanding of how to sell at a good price.
- Beers at Sip City start at $3.99 for a 12-ounce. A 5-ounce wine starts at $4.99.
Of note: Parking is scarce, but customers who walk, ride share, bike or use another transportation method besides a car get a 5% discount.
Details: Sip City is open 2pm to 12pm, Sunday–Thursday and 12pm to 2am Friday and Saturday.
- It’s located at 917 Central Ave.