Events & Volunteer Coordinator
TreesCharlotte is a public/private nonprofit collaboration to grow, diversify and steward the city’s iconic urban forest. Trained volunteers and science-based programs teach residents about the value of trees and how to plant and care for them.
Prepare to get your hands dirty! TreesCharlotte is searching for our new Events & Volunteer Coordinator, who will play a crucial role in growing, diversifying, and caring for our iconic urban forest. Under the guidance of the Director of Programs, you will help plan, execute, and follow up on TreesCharlotte events, including but not limited to our tree plantings, tree adoptions, and tree care events. You will also lead our volunteer engagement through active recruitment of partners and general volunteers for our events. This job has a lot of moving parts and will introduce you to a wide range of communities and the people who live, work, and play in them.
The Events & Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for organizing and leading all our volunteer and community engagement events. They are also responsible for recruiting and maintaining our growing group of trained, corporate, and day of volunteers.
Under the direction of the Director of Programs, you will manage all details behind our TreesCharlotte events, including but not limited to:
• Handling all pre-event preparations and logistics, including soliciting volunteers, assisting with tree selections, marking tree planting locations, finding suitable headquarter locations for offsite tree events, work with community leaders on all utility marking, lead community communications, schedule necessary rentals and, preparing and packing event materials
• Creating signup forms and calendar posts on our website
• Email communications to volunteers, sponsors and all parties associated with events
• Day-of event management and troubleshooting to ensure smooth execution, including event setup (such as unloading and organizing 7-gallon trees, moving tents/tables, water coolers, etc.) and event breakdown
• Lead event logistics and organization of other TreesCharlotte initiatives, including tabling events, educational visits, fundraising events and TreesCharlotte festivals
• All post-event logistics, assessment and communications, including follow-up conversations with all parties including volunteer partnerships and community leaders
As our volunteer engagement lead, you will supervise all our volunteer opportunities, including but not limited to our TreeMAKs (TreeMasters, TreeAmbassadors, TreeKeepers), corporate volunteers, and our general volunteers
• Manage all volunteer recruitment, communication, and tracking for the organization, as well as in advance of, during and after events
• Track all volunteer analytics, process volunteer waivers, and other paperwork as needed
• Conducts regular surveys and interviews for testimonials and feedback
• Handle the coordination of the TreeMAK communication, organization, and engagement
• Organize and conduct bi-annual TreeMAK trainings
• Propose, organize, and run all TreeMAK celebrations and social gatherings
• Track TreeMAK volunteer hours and help coordinate annual appreciation gifts
There’s always a job that needs to be done at TreesCharlotte, and you’ll pitch in when available to assist, whether it’s organizing a seedling preparation event, creating new signs for an upcoming event or recognizing volunteers and donors.
• Print and distribute event maps and event details
• Organize and distribute volunteer lists
• File appropriate paperwork for all tree planting events
• Answer the TreesCharlotte info/general emails, phone calls, and voicemails
• Maintain the TreesCharlotte website
• Organize, inventory, and maintain event materials in the TreesCharlotte office, truck, trailer, and storage units
• Management of all social media events promotions, including event postings and boosts on Facebook and Instagram
Keys to Success
• “Team-over-self” personality; professional, energetic, and positive attitude
• Highly developed organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to work Saturdays, especially during planting season (late September through March), and the occasional weeknight
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is a must, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Prior knowledge of or ability to quickly learn and use a variety of other software platforms (i.e., Salsa, GivePulse, Canva)
• WordPress experience strongly preferred to update forms and events on the website
• Physical ability to stand for long periods of time, move around event materials and lift 40+ pounds
• Required: Valid driver’s license with a driving record that meets insurance requirements as well as the willingness and ability to drive TreesCharlotte’s pickup truck and trailer
• A love of trees and the desire to grow Charlotte’s tree canopy!
• Salary commensurate with experience and Charlotte market
• Full-time position, including Saturdays, especially during planting season (late September through March), and the occasional weeknight
• 50% medical insurance, 100% vision and dental
• 2% Simple IRA company contribution
• Competitive PTO schedule with days awarded, not accrued
• 12 additional paid office holidays
• Respect for work-life balance, including consideration of flexible schedules
• Opportunity to build a legacy through strengthening Charlotte’s iconic urban forest
TreesCharlotte does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices, or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex or sexual orientation.
We also recognize that there is no “perfect candidate” and that fit, and potential can be a greater success than experience or skills, so we encourage those interested to apply, even if they only have some of the requested skills, knowledge, and experience.