South America Mission (SAM) is a nonprofit religious organization dedicated to proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God throughout Latin America by focusing on discipleship, church multiplication, leadership training, and community impact. Our vision is succinctly expressed as “Redeemed Lives, Beautiful Churches, Transformed Communities.”
The Accountant has diverse day-to-day responsibilities and must have the ability to prioritize and multi-task. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense reimbursements, general ledger, month-end closing, payroll operations, and financial assets. This position combines analytical skills with proficient knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial transactions and assist in generating financial reports.
Individual Profile: The Accountant will be informed and passionate about the Great Commission and enthusiastic about SAM’s participation in God’s global work. The right person will desire to be mentored in the financial operations of a mission organization and value integrating experiences into their own growth. The position calls for a relational personality, comfort using technology to manage processes, strategic and integrative thinking, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
• General Ledger Accounting – Import monthly donation information from CRM database to accounting software; month end closing of general ledger; produce and distribute monthly fund balance statements. Assist with year-end closing process. Provide Treasury services for SAM’s international operations
• Financial Management/Customer Service – Monthly analysis of cash flow needs; initiate wire transfers and deposits; process expense reports; ensure accurate and timely reimbursements. Respond to personnel inquiries related to fund balance and transfers. Banking oversight. Oversee payroll operations
• Compliance – Complete monthly tax deposits and annual tax filings; annual regulatory and association filings. Provide information per external auditors’ requests for information. Maintain source documents and data that substantiate general ledger transactions; catalog asset documentation provided by SAM’s international operations
Key skills and requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or extensive experience
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
• Proficient in QuickBooks and MS Office (Word and Excel)
• Experience with MS Access and Dynamics GP preferred
• Familiarity with Google Workspace (Gmail, Drive, Chat, Meet, etc)
• Excellent time management, organizational and planning skills, with attention to detail
• Strong communication, interpersonal skills, and ability to work with colleagues with different backgrounds and personalities
• Ability to speak Spanish and/or Portuguese is a plus
• Growing faith in Jesus Christ and personal commitment to faithful witness