Sullenberger Aviation Museum (SAM), with a mission to inspire, educate, and elevate the next generation to pursue careers in STEM, aerospace, and aviation, while inviting visitors to explore the vast contributions of aviation on our economy and culture, has partnered with the Charlotte-Douglas International (CLT) Airport to develop a new Museum campus scheduled to open this next year.
SAM is now seeking a new Development Manager at this exciting time of growth and opportunity. This position will possess the vision, drive, creativity, and technical skills to advance the Museum’s Development area with a focus on establishing effective operational systems that track engagement of various constituencies (Board/Advisors/Committees/Donors/Prospects) and potential target markets (parents, aviation enthusiasts, educators, etc.) to generate exciting, targeted campaigns and engagement and prepare the organization for the launch of the new Museum. This position requires being technically capable with marketing assets for fund development – especially database development; and ‘a real doer’ – a highly organized professional capable of managing multiple concurrent projects and building a top-tier operation.
The Development Manager will help execute the Museum’s highest priorities and immediate needs – including the launch of new fundraising and membership campaigns; Prospect-development management; Donor recognition/benefits/engagement/tracking; and managing various key Development initiatives like the Museum’s opening events and other cultivation events. Reporting to the Vice President of Development and Marketing, the Development Manager will serve as an active and collaborative member of the Advancement team, providing innovative and visionary management, to develop and execute the Development strategy to meet annual stated objectives within the following areas:
Duties and responsibilities:
Donor Database Management
• Manage Gift Processing and Acknowledgements process (pledge, gifts, tax letters, etc.)
• Facilitate Benefit Fulfillment tracking; process coordination; etc. (donor lists, etc.)
• Stewardship Fulfillment tracking – for various constituencies
• Manage Contact Lists and Prospect Lists within the data-base
• Generate reports; reconcile with Finance accounting for income and expenses.
• Manage Development Operations Plan
Campaign management (strategy; messaging; solicitation vehicles; prospects; systems; action plans; evaluation)
• Manage Individual Gift campaigns – Annual Fund Campaigns, etc.
• Manage Corporate Gift campaigns – Memberships, Vendor, In-kind, etc.
• Create Solicitation Materials from concept, content, manage draft process, images, etc.
• Prospect List management for each campaign
• Manage Upper-level Membership campaigns management (Individual, Corporate)
• Manage Major Gift Programs (Planned and other Individual Gifts; Corporate; Grants)
• Manage Stewardship Plans and Cultivation/Solicitation Strategy and support.
• Assist with creation of and manage the execution of Campaign Plans
• Create event fact sheets for all events (signature event; corporate events; site tours; etc.)
• Manage all logistical aspects of events (invitations, nametags, rsvp lists, etc.)
• Assist with creation of annual Events Plan – to document overall annual events’ strategies
Gift opportunities management
• Maintain Gift Opportunities database of current and potential gift opportunities, wish-list, etc.
• Track and keep current prospects/donors associated with each Gift Opportunity
• Track Benefit Fulfillment – provide reports for quarterly meetings with major-donors
• Benefit Fulfillment execution – overseeing logo placement; event rentals; etc.
• Assist with Gift Opportunities Plan
• Conduct Grants/Foundation Prospect Research – creating summary information sheets
• Manage Grants prospect list – maintain prospect list tracking deadlines/status for each grant
• Manage/coordinate the grant writing process — drafts with relevant staff; assist with edits; etc.
• Manage/track Grant Submission – online applications, attachments; as directed
• Assist with Grants Plan
Committee support management
• For relevant committee meetings, extend meeting notices, take minutes, etc.
• Five years of Development experience within a non-profit setting
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in Communications, Journalism related field
• Computer saavy; Experience with database management and design software a plus
• Project management skills essential
• Flexible ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment