Maintenance Worker – Stormwater
Performs work on a variety of construction, maintenance and repair projects; operates equipment in connection with tasks. An employee in this class perform a variety of manual labor tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets and related facilities. Work involves driving dump trucks and operating equipment, pouring and finishing concrete, installing driveway pipe, pouring and smoothing asphalt, installing or replacing signs and painting lines on flat surfaces, cleaning storm drains and catch basins, assisting in minor repair of equipment and vehicles, and operating a variety of tools and equipment.
Employee is subject to hazards in street maintenance work including working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as noise, proximity to moving mechanical parts, vibrations, dusts, mists, fumes, oils, tight quarters, and narrow passage ways. Work is performed under regular supervision in accordance with specific instructions and within defined procedures. Work is reviewed while in progress and upon completion for adherence to instructions and established standards.
• Performs a variety of tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of Town streets, sidewalks, and driveways; erects street signs and traffic signs; paints street markings; performs welding tasks when needed
• Works on a crew to patch potholes and resurface streets; prepares asphalt materials for resurfacing and patching
• Works on a crew to construct and repair sidewalks, curb and gutter and driveway aprons
• Works on a crew to construct and clean out storm water system and catch basins using shovels and pitch forks; installs and repairs storm drain pipe; digs drainage ditches
• Sets forms, mixes cement and concrete, pours concrete; lays brick
• Operates dump trucks to haul dirt, gravel, and equipment; operates pickup trucks, loaders, rollers and various equipment and hand tools in the performance of tasks
• Sets up safety cones and signs and may flag traffic around construction sites
• Performs routine vehicle and equipment checks for proper operation; checks oil and other fluid levels and tires
• Assists on all crews as needed; assists other Town departments as needed; hangs banners
• May complete work orders with tasks performed
• In weather emergencies performs tasks such as removing snow, ice or downed trees
• Performs related duties as required
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Working knowledge of construction, repair and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, storm drains and related facilities, including concrete and masonry construction and finishing and asphalt work
• Working knowledge of standard practices, materials, tools, and equipment utilized in the area of Street Maintenance Worker Page 2 assigned work
• Working knowledge of work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated with assigned area of work
• Some knowledge of the safe use, operation and preventive maintenance of the equipment to which assigned
• Some knowledge of the proper placement of traffic safety signs and cones
• Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles and equipment
• Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, often under unfavorable weather conditions
• Ability to lift heavy articles
• Ability to read and write; complete simple records
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform very heavy work exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally; and/or 50 pounds of force frequently; and/or 20 pounds constantly to move objects
• Must possess the visual acuity to operate assigned tools and equipment, perform visual inspections, read maps and drawing as needed, distinguish details and differences in quality as well as for safety and read simple records or instructions
Desirable education and experience:
Graduation from high school and some experience in concrete or asphalt construction; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Possession of an appropriate State of North Carolina driver’s license.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position, Employees will be required to follow other job related other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Law). Continued employment remains on at “at-will” basis.